Director, Outcomes Research - Oncology Product Line Team ( MERCUSR164538ENUS)
Attention NJ Applicants: In April 2020, our Company announced plans to consolidate our New Jersey campuses into a single New Jersey headquarters location in Rahway, NJ by 2023. Therefore, the NJ work location for this role will be temporarily based and the exact timing of the departmental move to Rahway, NJ will be communicated at a future date.
New hires based in the US & Puerto Rico will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
Our Quantitative Sciences team use big data to analyze the safety and efficacy claims of our potential medical breakthroughs. We review the quality and reliability of clinical studies using deep scientific knowledge, statistical analysis and high-quality data to support decision making in clinical trials.
Under the guidance of the Alliance Leader, CORE (Center for Observational and Real World Evidence) Oncology, the director has the primary responsibility of leading the asset strategy and partner with the tumor leads to drive the integrated evidence generation planning for the alliance across all its indications. The director leads a cross functional value evidence strategy team for the asset to manage Real World Evidence (RWE) planning, implementation of outcomes research, ways of working, and governance for the alliance. The role involves regular interaction among alliance partners, tumor strategy team, HTA/reimbursement experts, our company's country affiliates, and other relevant internal stakeholders.
The incumbent is responsible to obtain in-depth understanding of country specific HTA/reimbursement needs to support submission and evidence generation activities for an alliance asset and facilitate the discussion through governance. He/she will contribute to product development and marketing strategies to ensure that asset value is defined and developed. The incumbent is expected to work closely with Product Development Teams, Franchise Teams, Regional Product Directors, our company's affiliates, and other relevant teams to ensure that value evidence initiatives are consistent with business strategies in key countries.
- Represents CORE on one or more Value and Evidence Sub-teams (VEST) and provides leadership in developing the OR strategies and plans for developmental compounds and obtains cross-divisional senior management approval. The incumbent may be selected to lead one or more asset VESTs across all its indications.
- Critically assesses drivers and barriers to reimbursement and market access and identifies value evidence needs to provide strategic input into clinical and market development programs. Brings strong payer and HTA/reimbursement focus into the Product Development Team(s).
- Develops the integrated evidence strategy including HTA/OR strategy and generate evidence for HTA/reimbursement purposes.
- Develops and evaluates health programs leveraging different parts of health care systems that can enhance value and use of our company's products in an alliance.
- Support the tumor leaders in evidence generation planning and launch readiness.
- Works closely with the VEST team members to lead the review and endorsement of OR plans for the alliance based on the regulatory, marketing, and reimbursement environments on a worldwide basis, including the local needs of the US Market Works with our company's Research Labs colleagues, our company's affiliates and consultants to write, coordinate, and validate as required, study design, protocols, measurement questionnaires, case report forms, data analysis plans, and final reports/publications.
- Works with our company's Investigator Study Program Committee to evaluate outcomes research study protocols for studies in local markets.
- Works with affiliates to understand needs for economic evaluations and real-world studies for an alliance asset. Brings cross functional team members to outline mechanisms to adapt economic models, real world study protocols and reimbursement dossier for an alliance asset
- Works closely with other departments to effectively develop/ communicate Outcomes Research findings/value evidence and supports data and consistent messages throughout our company and to external customers.
- Responsible for maintaining awareness of scientific developments within his/her areas of expertise, both in terms of new methodology and new activities to establish communications with key outcomes research opinion leaders.
- Leverages other groups within CORE to develop and execute OR plans, including Market Partners, Data Sciences and Insights, and Pharmacoepidemiology.
- Builds relationships with health economic and outcomes research experts worldwide.
- Presents outcomes research data at international/national congresses and publishes articles in scientific journals.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Doctoral (preferred) degree from a recognized school of medicine, public health, management, pharmacy, or economics or
- Master’s Degree required from a recognized school of medicine, public health, management, pharmacy, or economics
Required Experience and Skills:
- In-depth understanding of HTA/reimbursement and market access needs in key markets
- 5+ years post PhD or 7+ years post Master’s degree of relevant experience in the areas of health economics, outcomes research, market access, HTA or related field.
- Demonstrated expertise in the design and implementation of clinical, epidemiological, or health economic studies
- Demonstrated expertise in the fields of outcomes research, health services research, epidemiology or health economics, and/or health technology assessment.
- A track record of scientific presentations and publications.
- Strong leadership and strategic thinking skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in Oncology related outcomes research, epidemiology or health economics preferred.
- Experience working in an alliance and multi indication assets
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1