Associate Director/Sr. Research Investigator/Research Investigator, PBPK
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The scientist in this role will join an established Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modeling team with demonstrated and growing impact across the pipeline. PBPK modeling has become an important component of drug discovery and development. PBPK models are used to characterize the drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME) properties based on calibration to non-clinical and clinical data. This enables extrapolation and generation of hypotheses to inform clinical development. Additional applications include drug-drug interaction (DDI) risk assessment, PK and dose predictions in humans and special populations, prediction of target tissue concentrations, formulation optimization, and early differentiation between lead and backup molecules. PBPK models are often extended to provide projections of target engagement, and pharmacodynamics have been incorporated. Our QSP&PBPK team has established expertise, impact, tools, a strong intellectual environment, and capable colleagues. The individual in this role will take on a variety of projects across therapeutic areas as well as preclinical and clinical development.
- Provide leadership to and collaboration with multidisciplinary project teams to develop and apply PBPK models
- Demonstrate high proficiency in the development and application of PBPK models to address drug discovery and development questions
- Partner with external groups to accelerate the internal PBPK efforts in key disease areas
- Independently provide expert support to project teams to design, execute and interpret clinical pharmacology studies
- Coordinate with QSP&PBPK methods group on new methodologies for innovative PBPK model development and application
- Network with stakeholders in non-clinical DMPK, biotransformation, and pharmaceutical development to identify and interpret experiments critical for model development and refinement
- Align PBPK model deliverables with clinical pharmacology, pre-clinical, and clinical development plans as appropriate
- Begin to learn how to align application area PBPK strategy with organizational priorities
- Contribute to the standards of practice within the department
- Participate and contribute to departmental and R&ED initiatives
- Serve as a subject matter expert to both internal colleagues and the external scientific DMPK/CP&P community
- Stay informed with emerging literature and science in the DMPK and PBPK fields
- Establish and maintain effective collaborations with stakeholders in other functional areas
- Build and maintain a personal track record of publication in the area of PBPK
- Maintain an active relationship with colleagues in Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacometrics at the project level as well as in the advancement of Pharmacometrics
- Ph.D. in DMPK, pharmaceutics, clinical pharmacology, engineering, toxicology or a related field
- M.S. in appropriate field with significantly more experience may be considered
- For the Associate Director level, 5+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience in applying PBPK modeling for DDI and PK predictions
- For the Senior Research Investigator level, 2+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience in applying PBPK modeling for DDI and PK predictions
- For the Research Investigator level, pharmaceutical industry experience is not required
- Excellent understanding of the theory and principles in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, drug metabolism and transporters
- Understanding of the theory, principles and statistical aspects of mathematical modeling and simulation
- Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop PBPK models
- Ability to communicate internally and externally on topics related to Clinical Pharmacology and PBPK is required
- Ability to keep up to date with and propose the implementation of scientific and technological developments in the area of PBPK
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the modeling software like Simcyp, GastroPlus, PKSim, etc.
- Experience with general programming and data analysis tools/languages such as R, MATLAB, Spotfire, etc, is desirable
- Desire to interact as a modeling and simulation expert with matrix project teams working closely with experts from different functional areas (pre-clinical and clinical)
- Knowledge of current practices and issues in pharmaceutical R&D in disciplines such as clinical pharmacology
- Demonstrated leadership and publication in PBPK
For position offered in California, the starting compensation for Associate Director job is a range from [$159,000-$220,000). For Senior Research Investigator job is a range from ($121,000-$167,200), plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed. Final, individual compensation is decided based on demonstrated experience. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Careers site. Eligibility for specific benefits listed in our careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.