Associate Director/Sr. Research Investigator/ Research Investigator, QSP (Immunoscience)
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Our QSP&PBPK team has established expertise, impact, and tools, and we are looking for a highly motivated scientist to develop and apply Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) models in the Immunology disease area. QSP models are mathematical models that are used to integrate knowledge and data on disease pathophysiology and drug pharmacology in a mechanistic manner. This enables hypothesis generation and testing in target discovery, translational pharmacology and clinical drug development. This position is an exciting opportunity to impact critical decision making in the progression of multi-target drug R&D in Immunology. The successful scientist will be working on a highly stimulating and collaborative environment with biologists, clinicians, pharmacometricians, translational medicine scientists, and in-house QSP modelers.
Position responsibilities (depending on level/experience)
- Developing and applying Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) models to address drug-discovery and development questions in the Immunology disease area.
- Function as part of team to develop and rigorously assess the functionality, feasibility, efficiency and validity of new models.
- Conduct extensive literature review to identify suitable mechanistic elements, interactions, rate constants and sub-modules for incorporation into systems (disease) models.
- Contribute to the design, execution and interpretation of clinical studies.
- Providing leadership to and collaboration with multidisciplinary project teams to develop and apply QSP models to aid in target prioritization, therapeutic modality selection, biomarker characterization and early clinical trial design.
- Partnering with external groups to accelerate the internal Systems Pharmacology efforts in key disease areas.
- Maintaining at the project level an active relationship with colleagues in Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacometrics as well as in the advancement of Pharmacometrics.
- Network with stakeholders in Discovery Biology, Clinical Development, and Translational Medicine to facilitate model development and application.
- Align QSP model deliverables with the clinical pharmacology and clinical development plans
- Leverage existing virtual population workflows and script-based analysis packages.
- Stay informed with emerging literature and science in the systems biology/pharmacology modeling and simulation sciences.
- Build and maintain a personal track record of publication in the area of QSP.
Ph.D. in Engineering, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Pharmacometrics, Systems Biology/Pharmacology or a related field with a proven record of productivity as demonstrated by publications and conference presentations.
- For Associate Director level, in addition to the Ph.D., 5+ years of mathematical modeling & computer simulation experience for biomedical/pharmaceutical applications within the pharmaceutical industry or pharmaceutical consulting. Post-doctoral may be considered depending on the totality of prior experience.
- For Sr. Research Investigator level, in addition to the Ph.D., 2+ years of mathematical modeling & computer simulation experience for biomedical/pharmaceutical applications within the pharmaceutical industry or pharmaceutical consulting. Post-doctoral may be considered depending on the totality of prior experience.
- For the Research Investigator level, pharmaceutical or pharmaceutical consulting industry experience is not required
- M.S. in appropriate field with significantly more experience may be considered
Key Competency Requirements
- Self-directed, independent and highly-motivated researcher who excels in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Excellent understanding of theory, principles and statistical aspects of advanced mathematical modeling and simulation, including numerical methods, parameter estimation/optimization, ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and how these can be applied in the development of complex models of biological pathways/systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial and collaborative attitude.
- Good understanding of the basic principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
- Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop QSP models.
- Ability to keep up to date with and propose the implementation of scientific and technological developments in the area of Systems Pharmacology/Biology.
- Hands-on experience with modeling software like Matlab/SimBiology is required.
- Experience with general programming and data analysis tools/languages such as Python, R, Spotfire would be particularly desirable.
- Desire to interact as a modeling and simulation expert across clinical development teams with experts from different functional areas (pre-clinical and clinical).
- Familiarity with the challenges and general application of mathematical modeling/simulation in pharmaceutical R&D.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.