Clinical Research Associate - Maryland/Virginia and Washington DC -REMOTE
Our Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance team pushes the boundaries of global healthcare through research and innovation. Through clinical trials and surveillance, we ensure the safety and efficacy of our existing and pipeline products to produce safe, effective, innovative medicine.
We care deeply about helping the world be well. We strive to improve health for others in the future by developing new drugs and vaccines that treat and prevent disease. Clinical trials are an essential part of this process.
The Clinical Research Associate role is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement.
- Acts as primary site contact and site manager throughout all phases of a clinical research study, taking overall responsibility of allocated sites.
- Develops strong site relationships and ensures continuity of site relationships through all phases of the trial.
- Performs clinical study site management/monitoring activities in compliance with International Council for Harmonisation Good Clinical Practice (ICH-GCP), Sponsor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Local Laws & Regulations, Protocol, Site Monitoring Plan, and associated documents.
- Gains an in-depth understanding of the study protocol and related procedures.
- Coordinates and manages various tasks in collaboration with other sponsor roles to achieve Site Ready.
- Participates and provides inputs on site selection and validation activities.
- Conducts site visits including but not limited to validation visits, initiation visits, monitoring visits, close-out visits, and records clear, comprehensive, and accurate visit and non-visit contact reports appropriately in a timely manner.
- Collects, reviews, and monitors required regulatory documentation for study start-up, study maintenance and study close-out.
- Communicates with Investigators and site staff on issues related to protocol conduct, recruitment, retention, protocol deviations, regulatory documentation, site audits/inspections and overall site performance.
- Identifies, assesses, and resolves site performance, quality, or compliance problems and escalates per defined Clinical Research Associate (CRA) Escalation Pathway as appropriate in collaboration with Clinical Research Manager (CRM), Partner Line Manager (PLM) and Regional Clinical Project Manager (RCPM).
- Manages and maintains information and documentation in Clinical Trial Management System (CTMS), Trial Master File (eTMF) and various other systems as appropriate and per timelines.
- Contributes to CRA team knowledge by acting as process Subject Matter Expert (SME) , buddy/mentor and sharing best practices as appropriate/required.
- Supports and/or leads audit/inspection activities as needed.
- Performs remote and on-site monitoring and oversight activities using various tools to ensure; 1) Data generated at site are complete, accurate and unbiased and 2) Subjects’ right, safety and well-being are protected
Education Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor of Arts or Science Degree preferred with a strong emphasis in science and/or biology
- Min. 2 years of direct site monitoring experience in a bio/pharma/ Clinical Research Organization (CRO) (or as country specifically requires)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally approximately 65%-75% of working time
- Expected traveling ~2-3 days/week
- This position is remote
** This is a remote-based role
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico – Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) (“Customer-Facing Role”) who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Remote Work
Valid Driving License:Yes
Number of Openings:1