Manager, Scientist/Engineer (R1556523-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The primary role of the Manufacturing Technology Scientist/Engineer is to support the Cell Culture, Purification, Cryogenics, Facilities, and Supply Chain groups on a daily basis as well as for longer-term strategic projects. The level of responsibility and complexity of projects undertaken will typically increase with grade level.
• Troubleshoot process-related manufacturing issues on the floor by leveraging strong upstream and downstream process knowledge to ensure the quality of the product and compliance with regulations
• Identify opportunities for improvement of process performance through on-floor observation and collection and statistical analysis of process data
• lead projects for productivity, robustness, quality, business process, and safety improvements
• Support process-related Quality Investigations to establish root cause, assess product impact and finalize CAPA
• Author and review technical documents including protocols/technical reports, SOPs and MBRs
• Lead regulatory changes and filings through change control authorship and management, filing authorship and review, data collection, and data analysis
• Lead technical transfer of new molecules, perform facility fit and lead the implementation of product/process transfers between manufacturing facilities
• Actively support process performance monitoring and analysis to identify process risks and suggest recommendations for process robustness and remediation
Specific knowledge, etc:
• Experience in problem-solving ability and ability to apply risk-based critical thinking in a technical environment
• Ability to collaborate across technical teams
• Technical communication skills in a written and presentation format are required
• Single-handedly manage and complete deliverables within given timelines
• Demonstrates strong theoretical understanding of the scientific area of study and problem-solving ability
• Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemical or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent area of related industry: Minimum of a B.Sc/B.Eng with 6+ years, M.Sc./M.Eng degree with 4+ years, or Ph.D. degree with no experience (0 years)
• Experience in biologics upstream manufacturing or Manufacturing Technology, including cell culture and bioreactors, and chromatography and filtration
• Position requires repetitive use of hands and wrist (computer work), and infrequent lifting of items not to exceed 50 lbs
• Occasional bending, twisting and stooping to allow for gowning into classified environment required
• Position is primarily office-based with occasional work in a classified Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) manufacturing environment
• Position is a team & project-based position that will require occasional shift work, weekends, and holidays.
This position requires up to 5% of travel.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.