Junior Engineer Data Science ( 593700-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
Our mission is to secure all applications in the enterprise. In this role you should be comfortable working in a dynamic environment with multiple concurrent responsibilities in real time Application Log Monitoring, Fraud prevention analysis and Alert reporting for action. This role will cover log analytics skills using Splunk, Log shipping skills using Kafka/FluentD, to perform log monitoring and reporting anomalies to prevent any security incidents. As a Juniordeveloper, you will work on a Logging and Monitoring project where the team collects data from different applications and analyzes the logs to look for vulnerabilities and reports for action.
Candidate will be responsible for:
- Using Kafka/other message broker or queueing technologies to handle data flows and distribution, Splunk ingestion and Splunk tool for log monitoring and pattern analysis.
- Managing Logshipping process, Handling various shippers like Logstash, FluentD, FluentBit, Splunk Forwarder and various logging libraries (Log4J, log4N, logback)
- Managing log onboarding process for Container based on log plugins
- Participating in evaluating new information security tools
- Working with teams on how to document and mitigate security issues
- Be able to troubleshoot difficult Technical Problems
- Research root cause for false positives and update indicators as appropriate to reduce false-positive while minimizing false-negatives.
- Analyze events and alerts, and properly classify as incidents or false-positives.
- Work with various teams regarding Application log shipping and Log Analysis requirements.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or one or more years of work experience.
- Experience in Java and .NET and secure coding practices
- Experience with logging in a distributed micro service environment.
- Experience in dealing with large amounts of data.
- Experience with Kafka/other message broker or queueing technologies to handle data flows and distribution.
- Experience with log shippers like Logstash, FluentD, Beats, Splunk Forwarder.
- Experience with various logging libraries (Log4J, log4N, logback) and Splunk tool for log monitoring and pattern analysis.
- Knowledge with Container based on log plugins and CI/CD tools
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Two or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge with highly scalable system architectures.
- Experience with at least one of the cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) and aware of security data classifications and OWASP standards.
- Experience with Splunk MLTK/Elastic/Kibana is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to present findings concisely and effectively to critical audiences
- Excellent presentation skills in data storytelling to senior executives.
- Ability to work with various application teams to assist resolving project related issues
- Knowledge of current industry standards for secure web and mobile design
- Self-starter with strong self-management skills.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to lead work efforts with offshore and onshore resources across different organizations
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
- High Level of motivation abilities.
- Technology savvy abilities.
- Learning abilities
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).