Senior/Principal Separations Scientist/Engineer
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Chemical Process Development (CPD) is a world-leading chemical development organization, located within GPS-Product Development, working to rapidly bring these innovative medicines to patients. The Development Chemistry function of CPD is currently seeking an experienced, innovative, impactful, entrepreneurial and highly talented individual to join our team. Our organization is focused on developing novel enabling science, exceptional chemical processes and disruptive innovation in the pursuit of safe, efficient, sustainable and industry leading manufacturing routes to BMS assets. Cross-functional collaboration and a mind-set of innovation and growth is critical, with engagement in the external academic environment being strongly encouraged. Our department offers an excellent opportunity to those who want to learn and grow their career while continuing to develop our shared culture of excellence.
In the role as a Senior/Principal Scientist within the Separation and Enabling Technologies Group, the ideal candidate will:
- Provide separation science research and support for the Process Chemistry and Development (CPD) department at BMS in New Jersey
- Interact closely with a team of scientists and engineers, including external service providers, to deliver both GMP and non-GMP separation solutions
- Develop chromatography methods for chiral and achiral separation at both analytical and preparative scale.
- Use both preparative liquid chromatography (HPLC) and preparative supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC) to achieve achiral and chiral separations at milligram to gram to kilogram scales
- Provide limited on-site support for compound characterization and physical property measurement, and coordinate with team members at other sites to deliver capabilities not available locally
- Work with other team members to ensure that the infrastructure is fully operational, and to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Influence the strategic plan for separation science in CPD, and to identify and complete continuous improvement projects that may include chromatography method development, infrastructure improvements, IT and process improvements, quality improvements, etc.
- Apply scientific and/or technical skills and functional knowledge to conduct research in Separations
- Work collaboratively within the Separations and Enabling Technologies team, as well as with project teams, and structure elucidation scientists.
- Contribute to initiatives related to continuous improvement or development of new approaches/technologies
- Lead discussions and makes presentations in multidisciplinary meetings, logically presenting information to convey clear, key messages.
- Bachelor’s Degree & 10+ years of academic/industry experience
- Master’s Degree & 7+ years of academic/industry experience
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in the Life Sciences & 4+ years of academic/industry experience.
- Experience in analysis and preparative purification of small molecules by HPLC and SFC
- Demonstrated proficiency in chiral separation by supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC) and HPLC.
- Familiarity with Ion Exchange Chromatography.
- Experience in a high throughput environment managing samples and associated data
- Experience in UV, MS and CD spectroscopy.
- Experience operating in a GMP environment.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, including troubleshooting processes, instruments, and data management issues
- Proficiency in scientific/technical writing including report summaries
- Experience using Berger, Shimadzu, Waters, and Sepiatec equipment is a plus, expectation is a familiarity with some of these.
- Familiarity with Process Analytical Technologies is a plus.
- Experience with MassLynx, Chromescope, ProNTo, Empower is a plus.
- Mastery of ChemDraw, MS Office, and ELN is required.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.