IPS Data Scientist/Engineer
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We are looking for a new team member! The Knowledge Science Research (KSR) group in the Informatics & Predictive Sciences Department, seeks a results-oriented individual to contribute to our informatics and data enablement initiatives empowering scientists in Research and Early Development (R/ED). This hands-on role will partner closely with our computational researchers across the pipeline in processing and interpreting primary and secondary high-dimensional data in pre-clinical and clinical settings. This hands-on role interfaces closely with data and computational scientists in Informatics and Predictive Sciences and business partners in IT to drive programs spanning both discovery and translational sciences, where data is being employed to identify molecular drug targets, characterize MOA, prioritize disease indications, and generate patient selection hypotheses. We are seeking a highly collaborative individual with experience integrating data and building data solutions to make data accessible and meaningful for the R/ED community.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
- Working interactively research scientists, computational biologists, bioinformaticians, and engineers to identify and deliver on prioritized data needs for Research objectives and program decisions.
- Design and implement data science solutions that ensure our workflows drive value for scientists, collaborators, and patients.
- Innovate and advise on the latest technologies and standard methodologies in Data Science and/or Data Engineering and be able to identify solutions for data enablement
- Design, implement and manage data pipelines that ingest vast amounts of genomic, phenotypic, and screening data from public, internal and partner sources
- Work with computational biologists, computational scientists, biostatisticians, and study scientists to resolve any data issues found during analysis
- Proactively communicate data ecosystem and pipeline value propositions to partnering scientific collaborators
- Collaborate with colleagues across Informatics and Predictive Sciences to make data, including raw/interim data, available to R/ED department personnel as the need arises
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with significant proven experience or PhD with at least 6 years experience (e.g. Data Science, Computer Science, Cheminformatics, Epidemiology, Biology, Chemistry, Genomics)
- Strong understanding of molecular biology concepts, multi-dimensional ‘omics’ data and modern approaches to data integration and data processing workflows
- Excellent programming skills, such as R, Python, PHP, S-PLUS, Java, or C/C++, used to integrate, verify and report data according to specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to programmatically integrate, verify and report data according to specifications
- Experience with cloud computing, Rest APIs and container strategies.
- Data Visualization experience (e.g. Shiny, Spotfire, Tableau)
- Working understanding of and experience with various filesystems and object storage, including Linux filesystems, S3, SFTP, and FTP
We are Knowledge Science Research, accelerating innovation through data, technology and insights. Join us and make a difference for patients! We hire the best people and provide them with a fun work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration, and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees are critical to driving innovation and science. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.