Principal Engineer - Data Science and Analytics ( 586588-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is seeking a highly motivated and talented senior network engineer with expertise in big data, machine learning, data analytics, visualization, and internet protocols.
You will be a key member of the Network Engineering team focused on developing solutions for iEN (intelligent edge network) that drive the success of Verizon’s Networks and Platforms. You must be innovative and be able to work in cross-functional activities with partners in Planning, Performance, and Operations. The engineer will be responsible for developing automation (DevOps) solutions that require ingenuity with an emphasis on data analytics & reporting, traffic-engineering & modeling, and network optimization.
- Designing, architecting and developing data analytics systems for various use cases including but not limited to network performance and traffic engineering.
- Participating and contributing in engineering lifecycle including writing production code, building data pipelines, conduct code reviews and working closely with infrastructure teams
- Building scalable systems to process petabytes of wireline and wireless data to provide real-time insights into the health of Verizon networks.
- Building batch and real-time data pipelines to ingest and transform data for data analytics and inferencing pipelines.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- Six or more years of hands-on architectural design experience, preferably focused on Hadoop, Open Source and Big Data.
- Solid Software Development skills with proficiency in Java and Python.
- Computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms and complexity analysis.
- Experience working in distributed computing with Apache Pig, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Druid and data ingestion frameworks like Apache Gobblin, Logstash, open source data connectors, and real-time data streaming services like Apache Kafka, Apache Flink and or Apache Storm/Pulsar.
- Strong experience with Big Data processing tools like Hadoop/Hive/HBase/Oozie/HDFS/Yarn.
- Experience implementing and monitoring big data pipelines and working in a large, complex DevOps and CICD environment.
- Strong background in basic machine learning techniques including Anomaly Detection, Time-series, Deep Learning, supervised and unsupervised learning.
- Expert-level experience in building scalable solutions using advanced analytics.
- Working in an Agile-team environment, with other data modelers, data engineers, data analysts, etc.
- Network domain knowledge.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).