SPO Environmental Monitoring Technician
The SPO Enivronmental Monitoring Technician (SPO EM Tech) position requires being knowledgeable of, and following all, applicable cGMP and Safety guidelines in the performance of all duties. All testing is performed under minimal supervision and results may be used in the evaluation of product for release. Using aseptic technique and under minimal supervision the SPO EM Tech core duties include:
- Processing air, water, and bioburden samples for determination of microbial contamination and performing special monitoring as assigned.
- Performing airborne particulate monitoring in controlled environmental areas. - Entering data into computer systems, Global Laboratory Information Mangement System (GLIMS), and/or paperwork as applicable according to standard operating procedures.
- Performing microbiological and physiochemical procedures as requested by management.
- Performing routine microbial air monitoring, critical site testing, routine surface testing, and personnel monitoring, as required by applicable standard operating procedures.
The SPO EM Tech assists departmental supervision in training new technicians as required by demonstrating work procedures and familiarizing new employees with testing areas and test sites.
Additional duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation and filling of special culture media.
- Maintaining stock and in-process cultures.
- Maintaining technician's supply inventory
- Maintaining good laboratory and housekeeping practices.
- Preparing testing equipment and necessary supplies as needed.
- Reporting all defective equipment to supervision.
- Participating in the preventative maintenance of testing equipment.
- Interacting with computer systems to operate automated systems (sampling).
- Receiving assignments from team/department management or coordinating own work schedule with minimal supervision.
- Assisting with problem resolution of test samples
- Being knowledgeable of all testing methods and sites as assigned.
- Assisting with submission of microbial samples for ID.
- Supporting per process/fill testing as required. Performing testing and/or check-ins of production plates into lab as required.
- Preparing Micro, Chem, LA and other sample bottles according to daily water collection schedules. Collecting water samples aseptically for microbial, USP Chem, and all LAL testing.
- Preparing laboratory equipment and supplies. Stocking all supplies used by departmental personnel on an on-going basis. Rotating equipment and supplies; returning out of date materials.
- Sorting and tagging sterile material and transporting to proper areas.
- Placing culture media in cold vaults and storage cabinets when it is delivered
- Verifying ordered quantities of materials and inspecting for contamination, bottle cracks, etc. Staging media as needed for testing.
- Removing recyclable waste and hazardous waste and staging for transport.
- Performing various miscellaneous duties, such as changing recorder charts, cleaning incubators, cold vaults, and storage areas.
- Maintaining a clean and orderly work area.
Minimum Education Requirements:
1. High School/ GED
2. A minimum of 60 credits from an accredited college/university with the following course work:
A minimum of 4 credits in Biological Sciences with Lab
A minimum of 4 credits in Microbiology Sciences with Lab
A minimum of 4 credits in General Chemistry with Lab
A minimum of 3 credits in Mathematics
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. For more information about personal rights under the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment laws, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively.
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as “remote”.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Travel Requirements:No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:On-Site
Shift:2nd - Evening, 3rd - Night
Valid Driving License:No