National Director, US Medical Affairs, Medical Science Liaison (MSL), Hematology
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Field Medical organization embodies our medical mission to be recognized as the trusted partner for internal stake holder and the healthcare community, driving scientific exchange to enhance medical education, data generation, insight generation, and patients’ access to medicine.
The Field Medical (FM) director role is New Jersey (PPK/Summit) or Remote-based and focused on leading a team of Field Medical professionals. Direct reports will include field-based Regional Associate Directors (RADs) who manage a team of field-based Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs). The FM Director will be responsible for oversight of RADs and MSLs in support of BMS medicines and all phases of associated clinical trials.
- External Environment and Customer Focus
- Ensure team’s ability to drive scientific exchange with Thought Leaders, appropriate HCPs, and access stakeholders, within a given geography to answer scientific, unsolicited product and HEOR related questions
- Support and evaluate MSLs ability to effectively present information to HCPs and ability to respond to questions, ensuring medical accuracy and compliance with local procedures, ethical and legal guidelines and directives
- Support Clinical Trial Activities
- Ensure active support for CRO sponsored studies as agreed with medical management and as defined by the study scope document
- Oversee appropriate support of BMS sponsored as well as Interventional and Non Interventional Research (NIR) studies (e.g. identification and assessment of potential study sites for BMS sponsored trials) to facilitate patient recruitment and/or discissions around the safe and effective use of BMS investigational products, as agreed with local medical management and as defined by the study scope document
- Oversee recommendations and insights to clinical development team on study and site feasibilities for BMS sponsored trials within the therapeutic area based on knowledge of the field and through direct contacts with potential investigators, as agreed with local medical management
- Ensure appropriate support of HCPs in the ISR submission process as agreed with local medical management
- Contribute to the Medical Plan
- Develop and oversee national Field Medical plan
- Actively participate in the cross-functional Medical Matrix Teams
- Ensure adoption of cross-functional institution/account planning approach
- Contribute to development and delivery of scientifically meaningful medical program/projects in line with the local Medical and Field Medical plan
- Provide Medical Support
- As necessary and appropriate, support the initial and ongoing medical/scientific area and product specific training and provide key scientific updates to internal stakeholders (e.g. Commercial, Regulatory, Pharmacovigilance, Legal, Compliance, HEOR, Market Access)
- Management and Development
- Actively manage Regional Associate Directors within assigned disease space
- Oversee directly, and through RADs, to ensure all MSL activities are strategically aligned with Medical Plan
- Ensure compliance with all local laws and regulations as well as BMS policies and procedures
- Support employee development
- Provide coaching and direction as part of active management
- Ensures all employees understand and act within local business processes, including compliance guidelines, relevant FDA regulations and legal and ethical standards
- Reports to Head of Field Medical
Qualifications & Experience
- Experience Required
- MD, PharmD, or PhD, with experience in therapeutic area or Science Graduate with relevant pharmaceutical experience. MBA a plus
- A minimum of 8-10+ years of clinical and/or pharmaceutical experience INCLUDING a minimum of 6 years of FM experience with documented demonstration of exceptional performance in leadership, management of people and medical planning
- Skills Required
- Demonstrated ability to lead national field medical projects or initiatives
- Demonstrated ability in account management
- Work in cross-functional teams with proven track record managing multiple projects and priorities
- Work in matrix environment with ability to succeed in ambiguous environment
- Experience coaching and mentoring within a FM organization
- Leading and executing autonomously
- In-depth knowledge of disease area, including key scientific publications
- ASMART principles in goal setting
- Clear understanding of customer (HCP and payer) and patient needs
- Knowledge of principles and implications of pharmacoeconomic data
- Knowledge of the US Healthcare System and the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Understanding of environmental and industry trends (e.g. Market Access and Patient Advocacy) and their impact on the business
- Knowledge of regional key institutions/IDNs/Health Systems
- Knowledge of clinical trial design, process/procedures required for clinical activities
- Knowledge of all relevant compliance standards
- Strong communication and presentation skills, in spoken and written word; Able to effectively communicate/listen and answer questions
- Has successfully served as Product Point, JV Point or Launch Point
- Broad range of experience in other therapeutic areas and/or in other functions with the industry is desirable
- Strong strategic thinking skills as demonstrated by and documented in previous performance reviews
- Travel Requirement
- It is anticipated that the Director will spend time in the field with their team and external customers. Additional time will be required with Home Office Stakeholders on Strategic initiatives. Further requirements based on team needs
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.