2024 University Recruiting - Data Science Intern
The Future Talent Program features internships that last up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research & Development Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Our company's Research Lab's Data Science, Automation, and Translational Analytics (DATA) group within the Pharmacokinetic, Dynamics, Metabolism and Bioanalytics (PDMB) department is seeking a summer intern to work on leveraging large language models for PDMB applications, including but not limited to literature/document summary/extraction/annotation. The intern is expected to leverage LLMs, such as ChatGPT, Llama 2, through prompt engineering, prompt tuning, LoRA, and model fine-tuning, etc.. The intern is also expected to develop, either independently or through collaboration with software engineers, a web-based UI for users to access the final models.
Learning opportunities for the prospective intern are:
- Professional Development: The intern will gain hands-on experience in UI development, search engine integration, and AI application in a professional setting, boosting their skill set and employability.
- Exposure to the Field: This internship will provide the intern with a deep dive into the world of pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and drug metabolism, exposing them to state-of-the-art research and developments in the field.
- Networking Opportunities: The intern will have the opportunity to work with a team of professionals and experts, building a strong network and potential references for their future career.
- Contribution to an Innovative Project: The intern will contribute to an innovative project with practical real-world application, potentially revolutionizing how professionals in this field conduct literature reviews and stay updated with recent research advancements.
We are seeking intern candidates at all levels with strong academic performance, communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work in a multi- functional environment.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree or higher education in computer science, data science, information science, computational science, engineering or related field
- Candidates must have completed two (2) years of studies towards a Bachelor's degree by June 2024
Required Experience and Skills:
- Candidates must be able to commit to full-time onsite employment for 10 - 12 weeks beginning June of 2024
- Proficiency in Python
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Full stack development experience
- Prior experience with ChatGPT/Copilot or other LLMs and AI programmers
- Prior experience in leveraging and working with AI on creative topics (such as arts and research)
- Prior experience with prompt engineering, either from work experience, course projects, or personal projects
- Quick learner and passionate in software application and programming in drug R&D
- Ability to follow procedures and thoroughly document experiments
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. For more information about personal rights under the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment laws, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively.
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as “remote”.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Employee Status:Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
Travel Requirements:No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:On-Site
Shift:1st - Day
Valid Driving License:No