Manager, Senior Quality Assurance Scientist
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Position: Manager, Senior Quality Assurance Scientist
Location: Manati PR
Interfaces directly with manufacturing and/or support areas operations to ensure that appropriate procedures are in place, through the execution of thorough reviews of procedures against practice.
2. Leads and participates in the critical review of all documents associated with the manufacturing and/or support areas operations, release, packaging and relevant activities in the operations areas.
3. Ensures that deviation on documentation dealing with OOS or process parameters outside filing or validation are
investigated and resolved by thoroughly reviewing timely corrective actions.
4. Provides key technical guidance and oversight to manufacturing and/or support areas operations areas (Sterile, NonSterile, QC Laboratories, Warehouse, Engineering, Supply Chain, MS&T, IM, among others to assure the appropriate cGMPs are in place through quarterly, monthly, weekly, or daily operations audits, as applicable.
5. Ensures compliance of all procedures (SOP’s) to avoid potential regulatory and compliance issues; including GDP and electronic systems compliance.
6. Provides scientific input into investigations management to assure root cause and CAPAs are aligned with the
opportunities identified in order to perform a systematic approach.
7. Supports actively the investigation processes in manufacturing areas (Sterile and Non Sterile) and support areas such as Warehouse, QC laboratories, IT, MS&T, facilities and utilities providing coaching from Quality perspective.
8. Provides guidance on gaps identified from the review and actively participates to determine potential remediation activities.
9. Supports risk analysis process when required per procedures.
10. Evaluates product impact and provide lot disposition recommendation when an investigation is completed as needed.
11. Manages audit observation, investigations, change control and CAPAs records in applicable QMS on timely manner.
12. Provides technical guidance and quality assurance support in the transfer of new products and process to maintain quality standards.
13. Participates in Manufacturing Alignment Teams (MAT) and Project Alignment Teams (PAT), department staff, planning and change control board meetings, as required.
14. Evaluates documentation compliance, including data GDP compliance and electronic system data compliance, and its overall management requirements for all manufacturing and support areas, including QC laboratories, such as CR’s, SOP’s, BR’s, Forms, Logbooks, BOM’s, WPP’s, qualification and validation Protocols, according with government regulations and BMS Policies.
15. Provides support to the area QA Leader during the budget preparation activities.
16. Evaluates department performance indicators and develop the appropriate corrective actions if needed.
17. Assists management during internal and regulatory agencies inspections (FDA, DEA, MCA, etc).
18. Develops sampling plans based on acceptance quality level criteria when additional or special testing is required.
19. Performs trend analysis to provide recommendations in order to improve the process and /or the product quality.
20. Supports Media Fill activities in order to assure that typical and atypical interventions are performed as established.
21. Supports the Annual Product Review elements for Quality events of manufacturing and environmental monitoring.
22. Evaluates and approve the instrumentation and equipment calibration records and critical area engineering drawings.
23. Reviews and approves equipment, utilities and facilities qualification and system life cycle documentation.
24. Reviews and approves all process, product and computer systems validation protocols and reports, change control documentation, redressing / reprocessing / rework operations, investigation reports related to manufacturing process and microbiology laboratory, and Annual Product Quality Review (APQR’s) elements.
25. Approves or reject procedures impacting drug products, raw material or packaging components.
26. Verifies compliance with BMS Policies and Guidelines.
27. Participates as quality representative or liaison in site projects.
28. Performs pre-operational review form approval in the manufacturing and packaging area.
29. Performs shop floor walk through audits and challenge adherence with area procedures, coaching and Quality Support in alignment to the business unit to optimize compliance and efficacy.
30. Verifies consistency with other site procedures and/or specifications.
31. Reviews and approves investigations related to process, products, utilities, microbiology laboratory and calibrations.
32. Approves Corrective and Preventive actions (CAPA’s).
33. Approves or reject specifications impacting drug products, raw material or packaging components.
34. Ensures there are effective systems for the maintenance and calibration of equipments and approves of calibration requests.
35. Ensures the designation and monitoring of storage conditions for quarantine materials and products.
36. Reviews and approves procedures related to process, products, utilities, and laboratories.
37. Maintains management informed (via frequent written reports) of any problem that might affect the quality and/or timely release of materials.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Science (Chemical, Engineering, Biology, Pharmacy or Microbiology) with six (6) years of experience in Quality Assurance responsibilities in a pharmaceutical industry, or Doctoral Degree (PhD) in Pharmacy with valid License in Pharmacy (Good Standing and / or without Restrictions of Puerto Rico Board of Pharmacy).
- Knowledge of manufacturing operations of Oral Solid Dosage and Parenteral Products Manufacturing
- Strong knowledge of relevant GMP, FDA, EU regulations and the ability to interpret and apply them for intended use.
- Fully bilingual (Spanish/English) communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-motivated, creative and team work oriented.
- Technical and scientific capability to make firm decisions and recommendations .
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with people at all levels.
- Effective communication Skills.
- Sense of urgency and analytical thinking.
- Proficient knowledge of computer systems (Microsoft Office etc.) and applications like Trackwise and SAP.
- Solid ability for analyzing data detecting deviations, inconsistencies and interpret sampling test results.
- Proficient knowledge of problem solving and root cause analysis methodologies (i.e. Kepner Tregoe)
- Willing to work irregular hours, rotative shifts, weekends and holidays when needed.
- Approve the sight screening test established within the Quality Assurance or Packaging Standard Operating Procedure (SOP).
- Work irregular hours, rotative shifts, weekends and holidays when needed.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.