Scientist, Immuno-Oncology and Cellular Therapy Translational Research
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Immuno-Oncology and Cellular Therapy Translational Research team is looking for a creative and driven research scientist to help advance our portfolio of cell therapies that have entered early clinical trials. Key responsibilities of this role are to assess the pre-clinical efficacy of potential combination therapies, provide biologic insight into the mechanisms of efficacy or resistance/relapse of our therapies, and identify new indications for our clinical stage assets. The candidate will be involved in both hands-on bench work as well driving development of concepts and strategy for late-stage research initiatives across relevant functional groups. The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation in T/ CAR T cell immunology and a proven history of implementation of a broad range of immunological concepts and experimental approaches using human and tumor cells. The candidate must be able to design, execute, and analyze independent experimental plans using cutting-edge technologies for assessing the activity of our cellular therapy portfolio. Highly team-oriented outlook and ability to prioritize multiple workstreams are a must. This position is ideal for someone who is forthcoming; willing to learn; and is passionate about cell therapy in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Design and execute preclinical studies to evaluate the efficacy and mechanism of action of cellular therapy drug candidates alone and in combination using primary cell cultures and patient samples
- Develop novel fit for purpose assays to address hypothesized solutions
- Analyze data, interpret results and present findings for both internal and external audiences. Integrate findings to propose next steps, and participate in development of novel intellectual property
- Evaluate opportunities for new research initiatives, both internally and with potential external collaborators.
- Ensure that the group maintains current awareness in area of expertise, enhance the scientific credibility of Bristol-Myers Squibb through contributions to the scientific literature (publications/presentations)
- Contribute to the writing of investigator brochures, IND applications, clinical protocols, regulatory annual reports, and other regulatory documents when appropriate
- Mentor Associate Scientist(s) and/or Research Associate(s) as needed
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and other documentation as need for regulatory filings
- Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years of academic and / or industry experience or Master’s Degree with 3+ years of academic and / or industry experience
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Background in Immunology or other relevant biomedical scientific field
- Experience in human T cell biology, including CAR or engineered TCR T cell biology and functional assays
- Experience with execution and data analysis of multi-parameter flow cytometry, Cell imaging, cytokine secretion assays and cytolytic assays
- Design and independently perform experiments and contribute to scientific discussions
- Critical thinking and an ability to read and analyze literature in the field
- Work collaboratively with project leads and team of scientists
- Plan, design, manage and prioritize experimental timelines to maximize productivity
- Ability to mentor research associates, as needed
- Experience juggling multiple priorities with a focus on alignment with company goals
- Experience with Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELN)
- Experience with preclinical tumor and/or immune-oncology models
- Experience with cytolytic assays using Incucyte live cell imaging platform
- Experience with intracellular cytokine analysis and cellular proliferation flow cytometry assays
- Experience in general molecular biology and tissue culture techniques including aseptic procedures, mammalian cell culture, PCR, and extraction of DNA/RNA
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.