Airborne Research and Development Manager ( 558104-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We are looking for an Airborne Research and Development Manager to lead our Special Projects R&D initiatives. These are the problems that are at the gnarliest intersection of technology and operations. Lead and shape the future of the autonomous aviation industry as part of the Aviation Development Centers, Skyward and Verizon’s premier aeronautical research and development group.
Within this organization we manage the projects, aircraft, ground fleets, facilities, and operations that drive complex capabilities and transformative technologies such as 5G, airborne robotics, and mobile edge compute (MEC). We were the first in the Nation to operate commercial drones fully-remote and beyond visual line of sight in a crisis. We set the standards for Verizon’s drone program, one of the Nation’s largest operational enterprise drone programs. We thrive on ambiguity, move quickly, turn ideas into solutions, and put those solutions into the field. You will coordinate and orchestrate the success of these projects with access to the assets of a telecommunications leader and the agility and autonomy of a start-up. You will do this not only as the manager of these efforts but also as an operational contributor yourself.
- Be responsible for all aspects of complex, multi-phased aviation R&D projects from concept to lessons learned ensuring all elements for operational success such as logistics management are executed.
- Lead a team of direct reports and manage a wide range of cross-functional collaborators from throughout Skyward, Verizon, and industry in supporting special projects efforts. Maintain relevant project management systems and project documentation.
- Co-design R&D system architectures with the ADC engineering manager and Director, R&D. Coordinate with engineering managers to ensure technical objectives will be met by proposed solutions.
- Ensure technical equipment is operational and ensure test results are captured and analyzed.
- Communicate Special Projects status, issues, and outcomes to a wide range of audiences spanning from very senior non-technical Verizon executives to individual contributing engineers and technical specialists.
- Manage a large amount of high-value air assets in the field through all stages of operations to include air operations management.
- Coordinate for asset support by working with the facilities and assets manager and team. Work with regulatory subject matter experts and regulators.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or four or more years of relevant equivalent technical programming or engineering experience..
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- WIllingness to travel.
- Valid driver's license.
- Six or more years of work experience in a combination of aviation project management to include significant experience as a project manager, first-hand low-altitude pilot experience either in rotary wing aircraft or tactical fixed wing operations, and hands-on experience with cyber-physical systems.
- Six or more years of leadership experience that includes formal training such as military operations training, airborne firefighting operations training, or similar that includes managing air assets in the field through all stages of operations to include air operations management.
- Six or more years of experience running projects with disciplined use of project management tools.
- Four or more years of proven track record in small team operations management such as flight platoon command, squadron command, or equivalent civilian operations management.
- FAA helicopter/rotary wing certificate or FAA fixed wing pilot certificate with 200 hours of low-altitude small plane experience such as fixed wing firefighting or bush piloting.
- 400+ hours of crewed aviation experience to include at least 75 hours as pilot in command.
- Instrument Flight Rules certification or 500+ hours of remote, beyond visual line of sight drone operator experience in advanced drones.
- Successful completion of an aviation R&D course like the United States Naval Test Pilot School, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, United States Army Maintenance Test Pilot course, or similar.
- Formal operations management experience.
Even better if you have:
- Ability to use advanced features such as metrics, custom queries, and project customization to lead a digital-first operations project management team.
- Experience operating in austere or field environments.
- Experience with Jira.
- Advanced capability to take off-the-shelf systems such as GSuite and extend their functionality with tools like Google Apps Script using self-directed learning as necessary.
- Advanced ability to use web based GIS tools like Google MyMaps or Earth. Aptitude for geospatial planning tools such as QGIS.
- Experience related to developing, evaluating, or maintaining cyber-physical systems such as aircraft, drones, robotics, or autonomous vehicles.
- Ability to create compelling presentations or direct design resources to create excellent documents and presentations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to organize complex documents and presentations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best.Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.