Sequencing Research Assistant ( R-00055153 )
The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Sequencing Research Associate to support biological research at the Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD) within the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) in Frederick, MD. The BDRD within NMRC facilitates biological research for the rapid detection of infectious diseases of global importance and the enhancement of global disease surveillance for early pathogen detection and response.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Perform laboratory research projects including collection and organization of data.
- Perform whole genome sequencing of samples using MiSeq, NextSeq500, Ion Torrent, MinION, PacBio etc. platforms as appropriate given chemistry constraints and output desired, for bacteriophage and other (bacterial host, etc.) genomes.
- Manage all aspects of equipment preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
- Perform market research and sole source justifications for laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Develop improved protocols for wet lab processes associated with high throughput characterization.
- Develop automated pipelines for data analysis.
- Contribute high quality reference sequences to improve the comparator databases.
- Develop technical reports, summaries, and protocols.
- Present data at national and international conferences, symposia or meetings.
- Train US military personnel in sequencing protocols at national and international locations.
- Maintain clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks; record detailed observations about experiments.
- Maintain compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures.
- Provide quality control, trouble shooting and maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
- Maintain supplies in the laboratory and keeps the laboratory area clean.
- Work is to be performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday - Friday 0800 to 1630.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- PhD or MS in a related discipline. A BS with extensive experience may be considered. Minimum Experience required: minimum of 3-5 years directly related research experience
- Must have good communication and analytical skills and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of various chemicals
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Experience in a military medical research laboratory is a plus.
- Significant wet lab experience with infectious disease protocols is highly desired.