Senior Scientist Applied Bioinformatics
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We are seeking an innovative scientist to join our Applied Bioinformatics team in the Computational Genomics group. This group of computational scientists is responsible for advancing Bristol-Myers Squibb’s industry-leading pipeline in multiple therapeutic areas (including Immuno-Oncology, Cardiovascular, Fibrosis, and Immunoscience) through the strategic application of cutting-edge bioinformatics approaches. Expertise in contemporary methods for processing, analysis, integration and visualization of NGS data, including single cell sequence data, are prerequisite. The position would suit an individual with exceptional NGS bioinformatics, computational biology, communication and collaboration skills focused on development of innovative methods, for the exploration of new and existing data types.
- Develop and apply leading-edge computational analysis and biological interpretation approaches aligned with key BMS scientific objectives and with focus on bulk and single-cell NGS profiling experiments.
- Integrate data across assay platforms and transfer knowledge to impact early drug discovery and translational development programs.
- Apply contemporary methods for genomic data processing, analysis, interpretation and visualization. Contribute to development and implementation of both established and novel NGS data processing protocols.
- Participate in design and analysis of laboratory experiments; algorithm, platform & vendor performance evaluations; and the development of novel profiling protocols.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or another relevant field or M.Sc. in one of the same fields and 5+ years of experience in the field
- Expert knowledge and hands on experience on current bioinformatics trends, public genomic tools, databases and utilities, with a focus on Next Generation Sequencing methods.
- Familiarity with NGS processing and analytical pipelines e.g. alignment, SNV, SV and CNV calling algorithms, common NGS manipulation and visualization tools and standardized NGS data formats (e.g. SAM/BAM, VCF).
- Experience with machine learning/deep learning (ML/DL) methods and their application.
- Experience with single cell assays and contemporary analytical methods of various single cell modalities (scRNA-seq, scATAC-seq etc)
- Fluency with Linux-based high-performance computing environments, AWS cloud computing, reproducible research and code sharing and tracking practices.
- Excellent programming skills using scripting languages (Python, R/Bioconductor, Shiny and contemporary database structures), and expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, and rigorous and creative thinking
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain complex ideas to computational scientists, experimentalists, and clinicians
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.