Formal Methods Research Scientist ( R-00086603 )
Are you ready to join Leidos all-star team? Through training, teamwork, and exposure to challenging technical work, let Leidos show how to accelerate your career path.
The Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) Advanced Analytics team has an opening for someone like you, a Research Scientist with experience designing, developing, implementing, and transitioning high-assurance software and software-intensive systems using formal analysis techniques to work in our Arlington, VA office. You have proven research qualifications and demonstrable experience developing solutions for a range of customers but focusing on those in the contract research and development space. Your specialty is in formal methods with a proven track record in developing state-of-the-art automated reasoning technologies that enable production of high-assurance software and software-intensive systems.
As our principal research scientist, you will serve in the role of principal investigator on contract R&D and internal R&D programs, engaging R&D customers and transition partners to develop new business opportunities and leading teams of researchers and engineers in developing, adapting, extending, and supporting the transition of innovative approaches and solutions in high-assurance software and software-intensive systems. A focus of this research is the generation of assurance evidence for critical software, at scale. The innovative technical solutions will advance the state of the art while addressing long-term problems of importance to national security. As such, you need successful, proven, and demonstrable experience leading proposals and winning competitive research and development efforts, and then leading high-performing teams in the development and integration of software-based solutions for customers such as DARPA and other branches of the Department of Defense.
Fun challenges you will work on:
• Independently influence the development of approaches and solutions that address highly-complex research challenges as well as partner in a team environment across organizations.
• Independently design and undertake new applications of research in formal methods as well as partner in a team environment across organizations.
• Develop topics for novel and innovative R&D approaches to solving challenges in the area of high-assurance software and work with potential sponsors (customers or internal champions) to secure funding for new research efforts based on those topics.
• Lead teams of fellow researchers, data scientists, data engineers, and software engineers to execute complex R&D programs.
This is you:
• M.S degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field with at least 10 years of industrial/academic experience advancing the state of the art in formal verification, developing technologies such as program analysis, constraint-solving, symbolic execution, or theorem proving or 12 years with a Bachelor's degree
• Must have a Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
• At least 4 years of experience with programming languages such as Java, Scala, C/C++, Ruby, Rust, or Python
• At least 5 years of hands-on experience applying formal methods, using technologies such as theorem provers for first-order logic and higher-order logic, proof assistants, solvers, or other automated reasoning tools
• Strong and proven customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true technical challenges and requirements associated with opportunities, recommending alternative technical approaches, and shaping future opportunities
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or in areas related to low-level systems, software correctness
• Track record of extending formal methods tools for new challenges
• Experience applying and leading the application of formal methods in fundamental research contexts, to problems in complex domains, under conditions of uncertainty, and dynamic and evolving technical challenges
• Proven track record in proposing, winning, and executing work with customers such as DARPA
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent written and oral skills in communicating technical information with an ability to present complex technical information clearly and coherently
• Proven experience forming strong teams composed of members from academia and industry for competitive research and development opportunities
• Current Top Secret security clearance
LInCPay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.