Principal Scientist, Statistical Bioinformatics
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We are seeking an innovative statistician to join our Bioinformatics Methodology team in the Translational Bioinformatics group. This broader group of computational scientists is responsible for advancing Bristol-Myers Squibb’s industry-leading pipeline in multiple therapeutic areas (including Immuno-Oncology, Cardiovascular, Fibrosis, and Immunoscience) through the strategic application of cutting-edge bioinformatics approaches. The scientists in this group design experiments and analyze both pre-clinical and clinical -omics data sets, including RNA-Seq, Exome and Whole Genome Sequencing, single-cell sequencing, high-throughput proteomics, and multiplex flow cytometry in order to nominate novel drug targets, enable patient enrichment strategies, and guide drug development decisions. The group interacts with and influences all aspects of R&D at BMS, from early discovery through late-stage development.
- Collaborate closely with others on translational research teams to evaluate, develop, and apply cutting-edge methods for analysis of multi-modal, high-dimensional -omics data
- Influence best practices in areas such as causal inference, large-scale inference, building and assessing predictive models, analyzing biological networks, visualizing -omics data, and NGS data normalization and analysis
- Provide expertise in state-of-the-art statistical methods for data exploration, visualization, and analysis while both advising colleagues and performing hands-on work
- PhD 5+ years of academic or industry experience OR
- Master's Degree 6+ years of academic or industry experience OR
- Bachelor's Degree 8+ years of academic or industry experience
- Ph.D. in statistics, biostatistics, or closely-related field - Strongly Preferred
- Solid grounding in statistical theory and familiarity with recent developments in statistics
- Skilled at working with large data sets
- Expertise in Bayesian methods
- Expertise in large-scale or causal inference, resampling methods, modern classification and regression, analysis of longitudinal data, predictive model development and assessment, and statistical graphics and programming
- Familiarity with semi- and non-parametric estimation and inference, survival analysis, multivariate methods, and design of experiments
- Working knowledge of biology
- Familiarity with statistical genetics and genomics and clinical trial design and analysis is a plus
- Experience analyzing and interpreting NGS data is a plus
- Fluency with Linux-based high-performance computing environments, R/Bioconductor, and reproducible research practices
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, and rigorous and creative thinking
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to discuss and explain complex ideas with computational scientists, experimentalists, and clinicians
- The ability to work across organizations to define and solve problems that will benefit the whole. Capable of establishing strong working relationships across the organization.
- Enjoy collaborating to solve challenging problems at the intersection of modern statistics and medicine to help bring new medicines to patients
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.