Sr. Scientist Biochemistry – Leads Discovery & Optimization (R1561039-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Sr. Scientist - Biochemistry – Leads Discovery & Optimization, San Diego, CA
The Lead Discovery and Optimization Group within Small Molecule Drug Discovery in San Diego focuses on delivering novel therapeutics for disease intervention by engaging E3 ubiquitin ligases for targeted protein degradation. We are seeking a highly driven Biochemist with a strong scientific background and expertise in the discovery and characterization of small molecule inhibitors/degradations. The successful candidate will work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment to carry out biochemical and biophysical assays in support of small molecule discovery for pre-clinical development.
Day to Day Duties:
- Design and conduct biochemical and biophysical assays to evaluate the activity and/or mechanism of action of small molecule inhibitors/degraders
- Bring strategic insight into program support and ensuring robust and innovative solutions and approaches towards the development of suitable assays for hit triage and SAR support
- Contribute to technology innovation in expanding targeted protein degradation assay platforms as well as high-throughput disease screening platforms
- Possess strong collaborative and written/verbal communication skills and a positive attitude to interact with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrate scientific leadership, both at the bench and at data analysis and be adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Effectively organize and present data for consumption across drug discovery scientific disciplines
- Contribute to the writing of investigator brochures, IND applications, and other regulatory documents when appropriate
Bachelor’s Degree and 7+ years of academic or industry experience
Master’s Degree and 5+ years of academic or industry experience
PhD and 2+ years of academic or industry experience
- Ph.D. with 2+ years of industry experience in biochemistry, enzymology, or related scientific discipline
- A consistent track record of impact on drug discovery programs through the judicious use of science and technology.
- Superior biochemical and biophysical assay design and excellent problem-solving skills, data analysis and management as well as experience in the application of modern technology and automation
- Proficiency in biochemical and biophysical assay development such as proximate based assay (TR-FRET and Alpha Screen), and/or biophysical assays such as DSF, SPR, ITC, CETSA
- Knowledge of protein targeted degradation and E3 ubiquitin ligase biology is preferred
- Supervisory experience and effective team building skills as well as ability to interact with and manage external project teams, outside collaborators and/or commercial vendors are preferred
- Advanced skills in data analysis as well as ability to deploy tools for data integration, data mining and predictive analytics for knowledge generation are compulsory.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to convey complicated scientific results to a broad audience
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.