Scientist, Engineering Technologies
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Scientist - Engineering Technologies
The Engineering Technologies team in Drug Product Development is seeking a self-motivated, results oriented, collaborative engineer/scientist with a passion for leveraging technology to extend and enhance patient lives, with a focus on predictive modeling. The successful candidate excels in a collaborative, cross-functional, matrix team environment to enable the development of new drug products for pharmaceutics, biologics, and emerging modalities through the development and application of enabling technologies. This role leverages a combination of experience in process sciences, formulation development, and/or process analytical technologies, as well as digital technology or data science expertise to increase understanding, and balance speed with risk.
This scientist is primarily responsible for designing and developing computational models of pharmaceutical materials and for pharmaceutical unit operations as well as contributing to laboratory studies to support product and model development. The successful candidate has a strong mathematical background, understanding of empirical and mechanistic modeling techniques, strong aptitude for numerical analysis techniques, engineering fundamentals, laboratory and/or manufacturing experience in drug product processing, understanding of formulation science fundamentals, enthusiasm for applying digital technology in new ways, and strong collaboration and communication skills.
The successful candidate thrives in a diverse team environment, driving inclusion by exemplifying the BMS Core Values, understanding the impact of privilege, creating space for underrepresented groups, and mitigating implicit bias. The individual works well with people from other disciplines and thrives in a multifunctional team environment.
- Developing robust process models to understand and characterize the variables that impact product attributes.
- Facilitate problem solving using scientific, engineering, analytical, and numerical analysis techniques to support drug product development from early development to product launch as a member of a multidisciplinary project team.
- Partners with other Functions within Drug Product Science and Technology, and across Product Development to evolve, integrate and optimize support to create a world-class development function.
- Responsible for willingly and enthusiastically working at the bench to solve challenging pharmaceutical development problems applying his/her scientific or engineering expertise
- Demonstrated ability to learn new techniques and applies these to address cross functional development challenges.
- Accountable for identifying opportunities and/or implementing solutions to improve efficiency, productivity, quality or reduce costs, operate in accordance with safety and compliance standards
- Manage data, and metadata lifecycles from generation to knowledge, identifying opportunity to maximize the knowledge generated from the tools we have.
- Bachelors / Masters with some experience or Ph.D. in scientific or engineering discipline is required. Practical experience directly relevant to the role is valuable for success and minimum degree requirements change relative to experience.
- 0-5 years of experience in drug product development and problem solving in the pharmaceutical or other life science industry and/or experience with modeling, implementing digital technology into laboratory/processing environments.
- Working knowledge of key pharmaceutical unit operations both in drug substance and drug product including, but not limited to, crystallization, mixing, milling, granulation (wet and dry), tablet compression, coating, parenteral ultrafiltration/diafiltration, buffer exchange, vial filling, lyophilization, and stability modeling. Laboratory hands-on experience. Data science and data interpretation, manuscript preparation, publication and presentation of results.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, team-building, and communication skills to ensure effective collaborations within matrix teams.
- Proficient in programming languages such as Matlab, Python, C++, and R.
- Advanced math, statistics, or engineering useful in developing mechanistic models
- Proficient in 3D drawing & particulate modeling
- in-depth knowledge of machine learning, pattern recognition and data-mining techniques
- Proficient in one or more computational modeling techniques such as finite element modeling (FEM), discrete element method (DEM), computational fluid dynamics (CFD), CFDEM, process models and flowsheets, statistical techniques, population-balance models (PBM), and engineering models and ability to learn additional techniques.
- Proficient in fundamental engineering/physical concepts such as mass, momentum, and energy transport phenomenon; and a mathematical ability to setup and solve linear, non-linear, and differential equations.
- Graphical User Interfaces
- Familiarity with a variety of material characterization and PAT tools.
- Systems integration and/or PLC programming experience
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.