Scientist, Predictive Sciences, Discovery
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek a driven and communicative computational biology scientist with experience in applying innovative computational approaches to understand cancer biology. Our computational biology group partners with the Mechanisms of Cancer Resistance (MoCR) research center at BMS. We are focused on advancing BMS drug discovery pipeline through innovative research bridging digital pathology and computational genomics. In collaboration with an interdisciplinary team, we leverage multimodal imaging and molecular data to propose new oncology targets and novel disease biomarkers towards clinical applications. The applicant will have an opportunity to contribute to both forward and reverse facing aspects of our research by integrating diverse internal and external pathology and genomics datasets, proposing hypothesis-focused experimental designs in reductionist models, and developing new analytical approaches for cutting-edge technologies.
- Develop and implement cutting-edge computational approaches for the integration of multi-omics and multi-dimensional biological datasets such as transcriptomics and pathology to drive hypotheses generation and derive novel insights.
- As a part of an inter-disciplinary team, evaluate and advance BMS drug assets through the analysis of internal and external genomics and proteomics datasets.
- Engage with stakeholders across line functions to enable and influence good practices pertaining to sound experimental design, evaluation of emerging assays, pipelines, and platforms, and analytical data standards.
- Document and present analysis and to stakeholders to impact and influence decision-making in early target identification and translational research programs.
- Actively participate and contribute to BMS’ research partnerships with academic groups.
Bachelor's Degree 5+ years of academic / industry experience
Master's Degree 3+ years of academic / industry experience
PhD No experience required
- PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Systems Biology or other relevant fields.
- The ability to work across an inter-disciplinary team to define and solve problems that benefit the whole. Capable of establishing strong working relationships across with peers and leadership in biology, genomics, and computational teams.
- Experience with thoughtfully evaluating and applying statistical approaches and published algorithms to interpret multi-omic data. Knowledge of genomics analytical approaches is highly desirable.
- Experience applying analytical and machine learning approaches to imaging data is a plus.
- Experience working with large-scale omic datasets (e.g., TCGA) to investigate biology of a disease. Background in cancer genomics is a plus.
- Excellent programming skills in R and/or Python. Knowledge of reproducible research standards and tools (Git, JIRA) is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, with an ability to explain computational approaches and resulting conclusions to a diverse group of peers.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to handle several concurrent, fast-paced projects
- Strong publication record
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.