Scientist, Protein Science Characterization
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol-Myers Squibb’s newest R&ED site located in Cambridge is in the heart of a vibrant ecosystem of world-class science, innovation, and business opportunities. Our research in Cambridge focuses on novel targets and pathways for tumors in oncology that are resistant to current therapies, as well as innovative discovery and translational medicine platforms to address unmet medical need in cardiovascular disease, immunoscience, immunology, neuroscience and fibrosis. We will continue to foster patient outreach and local external collaborations with biopharma, biotech, and academic partners in our pursuit to help patients prevail over serious diseases.
We are seeking a scientist with experience in protein analytics to join the Protein Science Characterization group in the Discovery Biotherapeutics department in Cambridge, MA. The Discovery Biotherapeutics group supports programs across all BMS therapeutic areas. This individual will play a crucial role in executing our strategy for analyzing and assessing both protein reagents and protein drugs, to support various stages of the Discovery Biologic Program from target ideation to delivery to clinical development, including lead selection and optimization, manufacturability assessment and developability assessment. The successful candidate should be self-motivated, have excellent communication skills, be a team player, and have strong knowledge and experience in advanced bioanalytical separation sciences including chromatographic, electrophoretic, and mass spec. methods. Desired skills include HPLC/UPLC, LC-MS, Capillary Electrophoresis, DSC/DSF; as well as analytical method development and biological techniques. Knowledge and experience in biophysical characterization and AAV, CAR-T will be a plus.
- Support routine sample analyses using SEC/SEC-MALS, iCIEF, DSF/DSC techniques for all modalities and steps during the purification train.
- Provide LC-MS intact mass analysis for process characterization and product release.
- Develop different Analytical methods for quality control and stability assessment. Preparation of novel assay protocols, quantitive analyses, data summaries and technical reports.
- Provide SEC-MALS for protein-protein complex assessment
- Evaluate new technologies and lead scientific and technological innovations to improve analytical method, product characterization and process
- Perform in-depth analytical characterization of different molecules for issue investigation and stability assessment.
- Routine maintenance of analytical instruments,
- Analyze and present data to supervisor, department and inter-department meeting
- Ensure accurate record of analytical results in Genedata. Maintain a complete and current Electronic Laboratory Notebook.
- PHD - Degree in Analytical Chemistry/Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Chemical/Biological/Biochemical engineering or related discipline. OR
- Masters and 3 years OR
- Bachelors and 5 years
- Strong background in areas of analytical chemistry/biochemistry, with the emphasis on experience and in-depth working knowledge of HPLC/UPLC (UV/FL) and mass spectrometer.
- Experience with protein fragmentation (CE-SDS, RPLC), charge variants (AEX/CEX/iCIEF), aggregation/HMW analysis (SEC-HPLC, SEC-MALS) techniques is highly desirable.
- Experience with intact mass analysis is desirable. Experience with LC-MS analysis of bispecific a plus.
- Experience with biophysical characterization is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with data reporting in a LIMS system, along with recording in an ELN, highly desirable.
- Work in a team-oriented, dynamic environment with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Works independently and collaborates with other groups. Deliver results in line with project and team objective
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.