Principal Scientist Protein Homeostasis Structural Biology
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
BMS is a leader in the discovery and development of novel therapies that exploit targeted protein degradation. Structural biology is critical to our protein homeostasis (PH) research. High-quality 3D structures of proteins and protein complexes involved in Ubiquitin/Proteasome System-mediated degradation enable our scientists to understand mechanisms of action, design ligands or drug molecules, and make predictions about new biological targets for our drug discovery efforts. A deep focus in Oncology puts our resources squarely on projects of intense biomedical interest.
The successful candidate will perform and direct research within a talented group of structural biologists and will focus their experience and expertise in the PH field. There is opportunity to have a real-time, high-value impact on the ongoing projects as well as chart the future of our research efforts by capitalizing on structural insights, for example by uncovering mechanisms of action, defining binding modes, and identifying target degrons. The scientist will interface with chemistry, biology, proteomics, and computer-aided drug design scientists working on our PH projects. The PH Structural Biology team is part of an exciting and vibrant group that includes proteomics, biophysics, and cell biology, all with a focus on PH. We are seeking a passionate scientist who strives to bring impactful structural biology insights to bear on a burgeoning portfolio of PH targets, with the goal of bringing novel therapies to patients.
- Plan, execute, and report on studies resulting in novel structures for CRBN E3 Ligase Modulators (CELMoDs) and Ligand Directed Degraders (LDDs)
- Lead structural biology efforts pursuing novel ligands for ubiquitin ligases and other PH targets
- Represent the PH Structural Biology team at project level and departmental meetings
- Work with managers and peers to develop innovative structural biology methodologies and approaches for enablement of drug discovery in the PH field
Bachelor's Degree with 8+ years of academic or industry experience
Master’s Degree with 6+ years of academic or industry experience
Ph.D. with 4+ years of academic or industry experience
- Candidates with a Ph.D. and 4+ years of drug discovery experience in an industrial setting will be given strong preference
- Demonstrated expertise in the structural aspects of protein degradation pathways is preferred
- Training and expertise in X-ray crystallography and single-particle cryo-electron microscopy for the elucidation of protein structure
- Demonstrated ability to help direct drug discovery projects, contribute to compound design, and identify and champion novel technologies and approaches
- In-depth knowledge of current practices, instrumentation, and issues for answering key structural biology questions with a focus on enzymes and large protein complexes
- Expertise in protein construct design, expression, and purification
- Strong written and oral communication skills to clearly deliver scientific results and presentations
- Demonstrated ability to thrive as part of a multidisciplinary team and inspire mutually beneficial collaborations to drive the development of PH therapeutics
Domestic or international travel for conferences, or collaboration with team members at other sites, may be necessary for up to 5% of the time, depending on project needs
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.