Senior Scientist, Computational Structural/Systems Biology
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek a collaborative and highly innovative computational scientist to join our Predictive Sciences team and develop cutting-edge computational strategies to discover novel targeting opportunities within, or utilizing, the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS) and other protein homeostasis pathways.
This position will work alongside colleagues in Protein Homeostasis, Small Molecule Drug Design and other teams in the global Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) department. The successful applicant will play a key scientific role in shaping the future of our most advanced protein degradation modalities to pursue therapeutic opportunities in spaces beyond the reach of conventional small molecule drug approaches. We welcome applications from candidates who are passionate about learning a new drug discovery paradigm, bringing new medicines to the patients, and comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
- Integrate high-dimensional proteomics, transcriptomics, protein-protein interaction & clinical data to prioritize and propose novel point of intervention within the UPS pathway.
- Design and implement systems & network biology approaches to elucidate and predict novel E3 ligase properties to guide target identification and biomarker selection.
- Collaborate in the design, validation and application of chemogenomics, chemoproteomics and protein structure prediction approaches to identify novel degrader mechanisms.
- Contribute to machine learning research in predicting activity from protein structural features for targeted protein degradation applications.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results, and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Bachelor's Degree in structural bioinformatics, computational biology or systems biology and 7+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR Master's Degree in structural bioinformatics, computational biology or systems biology and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR PhD in structural bioinformatics, computational biology or systems biology 2+ years of academic / industry experience
- Ph.D. in structural bioinformatics, computational biology or systems biology with 2+ years of post-doctoral experience in applying computational and analytical approaches in university, pharma, or biotech settings, focusing on drug discovery, or elucidating underlying disease pathology.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate heterogeneous data sources and apply predictive, multivariate research approaches to integrated molecular and chemistry datasets.
- Proven expertise in development and implementation of algorithms to distill, analyze and interpret protein and ligand structures and genomics and proteomics datasets.
- Strong working knowledge of protein structure/folding and protein-ligand interactions.
- Ability to work with noisy and missing data to tease out relevant information.
- Knowledge of various parametric and non-parametric statistical tests and ability to identify and apply the appropriate statistical test.
- Mastery of various programming and scripting languages (R, Python, or Matlab).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in machine learning/deep learning.
- Experience in structural biology or cheminformatics.
- Knowledge of drug discovery in pre-clinical and early phase drug development stages.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.