Sr Scientist, Translational Bioinformatics
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek a talented, collaborative inter-disciplinary computational scientist to work on the analysis, statistical modeling and generation of hypotheses from high-dimensional molecular profiling data. This individual will play a key scientific role leveraging innovative computational analysis strategies and rich patient data to empower data-driven decisions alongside BMS colleagues in our Informatics & Predictive Sciences department and in collaboration with internal partners in drug discovery and translational medicine research teams.
Analysis scenarios will involve applying cutting-edge bioinformatics, statistics, and data analysis methods; working with clinical and large-scale omics data and biomarker data sets that could include WES, RNA- Seq, scRNAseq, IHC, flow cytometry, ChIP-seq, and ATAC-seq from BMS’s industrial-leading late stage oncology clinical studies; influencing development strategies and advancing BMS late stage oncology pipeline. This position offers the exciting opportunity to make major contributions to scientific knowledge of cancer disease biology, and to directly impact treatment of cancer patients.
The position would suit an individual with strong biological and computational capabilities and excellent communication and collaboration skills. Applications are encouraged from those involved in innovative translational research for hematology and/or solid tumor indications in clinical or industrial research environments. The role offers the opportunity to impact directly the delivery of truly transformational and life-changing therapies in key diseases of unmet medical need.
- Perform analysis of clinical and biomarker datasets (e.g., large-scale -omics datasets including RNASeq, and Whole Exome/Genome Sequencing) and derive clinically meaningful interpretations.
- Develop and apply computational methods for patient stratification based on integration of molecular profiling datasets.
- Identify potential biomarkers for patient enrichment strategies and gain mechanistic insights of responses and resistances to treatments of interest.
- Drive in-depth analysis of stratified patient data to elucidate biological and driver mechanisms in key oncology indications (integrating multiple omics datasets, including scRNAseq).
- Work with colleagues in the Informatics & Predictive Sciences group to identify drivers of disease heterogeneity and potential therapeutic targets for patients in unmet need.
- Collaborate with experimental teams in the iterative validation of therapeutic and mechanistic therapeutic hypotheses.
- Summarize analysis results and report conclusions to BMS decision-making bodies.
- Bachelor's Degree 7+ years of experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics or related fields
- OR Master's Degree 5+ years of experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics or related fields experience
- OR PhD 2+ years of experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics or related fields.
- PhD 2+ years of experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics or related fields.
- Experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industries is a plus.
- Strong experience in the use of a high-level programming language such as R, MATLAB, Python or Perl for complex data analysis and reproducible research practices is a must.
- Substantial experience working with Next Generation Sequencing datasets, including RNAseq, scRNAseq, Whole-Genome, Whole-Exome Sequencing and ChipSeq.
- Familiarity with contemporary cloud and high-performance computing environments.
- Expertise in application of contemporary machine-learning/AI approaches.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to handle several concurrent, fast-paced projects while conforming with rigorous requirements of clinical studies.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, rigorous and creative thinking.
- Excellent communication, data presentation, and visualization skills.
- Fluent written and verbal English language communication.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.