Principal Scientist - Medicinal Chemist & AI/ML
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Medicinal Chemist for AI/ML supported protein degradation projects
Principal Scientist - Small Molecule Drug Discovery (SMDD)
Bristol Myers Squibb in San Diego and Redwood City, CA are seeking an exceptionally talented and highly motivated medicinal chemist who is passionate about joining our fast-paced medicinal chemistry group in the pursuit of discovering innovative therapies. The successful candidate will co-lead 1-2 protein degradation projects within cross-functional drug discovery teams advancing the Oncogenesis Thematic Research Center (TRC) portfolio at BMS. These degradation projects will be co-led by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) experts to enable rapid design-make-test cycles for an accelerated delivery of high-quality drug candidates in our CELMoD portfolio.
Besides having a passion for computationally driven drug design, the candidate will be an expert in the field of organic synthesis and have hands on experience with a wide range of modern synthetic transformations. She/he will contribute to programs by setting strategies, priorities, and driving critical path drug discovery objectives. The candidate will have a track record of independent design and synthesis of target molecules, demonstrate a hypothesis driven medchem approach and data interpretation. Knowledge in E3 ligase and UPS biology and chemistry a plus as protein homeostasis at BMS is one of the fundamental research engines delivering therapeutics to patients. Our dynamic and creative teams of scientists that are not bound by a specific therapeutic modality create an exciting interface between medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry, biology, structural biology, computational biology and translational development.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8+ years of academic or industry experience
Masters Degree and 6+ years of academic or industry experience
PhD and 4+ years academic or industry experience
- Ph.D. with 4+ years of industry experience in medchem drug discovery experience.
- Track record of innovation and impact on programs documented through co-inventorship on issued patents and authorship of publications in peer-reviewed journals (may include both successful advances and smart terminations).
- Documented contributions to computationally supported medchem design teams with experience leveraging predictive pharmacology and ADME models.
- High level of creativity and productivity with strong synthetic problem-solving skills, synthetic methods, and reaction mechanisms are required.
- Track record of impactful experimental work: skilled in multi-step synthesis, purification, and state-of-the-art techniques for characterization of organic compounds.
- Strong skills in gathering, documenting, and analyzing information from competitive sources such as patents and meetings and using this information to guide program strategy.
- Experienced supervising junior scientists either in a direct or indirect reporting relationship, improving their skills and knowledge through strong mentorship would be a benefit.
- Broad knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- A naturally collaborative style as necessary to work effectively in a fast-paced, highly integrated team environment.
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, team-oriented individual, with good computer skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrated ability to write peer reviewed quality work or invention disclosures for patent applications, and able to present the rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments department wide.
For California Sites - The starting compensation for this job is a range from $121,000 - $167,200, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed. Final, individual compensation is decided based on demonstrated experience. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Careers site. Eligibility for specific benefits listed in our careers site may vary based on the job and location
Fit with BMS Culture and Values
- Diversity, inclusion and integrity
- Strong team orientation; highly collaborative
- Solutions and results-oriented focus
- Hands-on approach; resourceful and open to diverse points of view
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.