Principal Scientist, MS&T Materials Science
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
This position will serve as a senior member role in the team that works in collaboration with process development, MS&T/MT, site operations, supply chain, QC/QA, technical product teams, third party laboratories, and procurement functions to design, evaluate, and validate direct materials. This individual will be accountable for material control strategies and leading technical projects, including alternate supplier qualifications, at the site while providing network materials support as required. It is expected that this role will also engage with industry forums such as PDA, BPOG, and ISPE.
- The position will report into the Director of Materials Science, Global Capabilities & Technical Strategy, MS&T located in Devens, Massachusetts United States. This position will be located in Manati, Puerto Rico.
- The Principal Scientist, MS&T Materials Science is in direct contact with the Director, MS&T Materials Science and other senior leaders within Supply Chain, MS&T, Procurement, and Quality. Occasional interactions occur with external industry and regulatory representatives.
- May interact directly with Health Authorities during inspections.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for direct materials, including raw materials, excipients, consumables, and single-use-systems, used in drug product biologics manufacturing
- Accountable for execution of materials science technical projects for Manti, Puerto Rico site with additional support as needed to network materials. Including alternate supplier implementations for direct materials.
- Design, prepare, and review protocols, methods/processes, and experimental plans relevant to material workflows. Conduct or supervise internal and external laboratory studies, as applicable. Author relevant risk assessments, technical reports, and white papers.
- Design, prepare, and review required CMC documentation as appropriate.
- Using innovative techniques, determines critical material attributes related to process performance
- Provides technical expertise, leadership, and authorship for: manufacturing investigations, material implementations, material change controls, alternate material qualifications, tech transfers, and technical material risk assessments.
- Build collaborations with third parties for planning/execution of outsourced studies
- Leads cross functional teams (i.e. Supply Chain, Quality Compliance and Assurance, Manufacturing, Procurement) for material characterization and new/alternate material selection.
- Collaborates with internal and external partners to achieve shared goals and ensure application of best practices.
- Develops top talent with well-established succession plans
- Leads teams and drives resources to deliver on business commitments and objectives.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant scientific or engineering discipline (ie: biochemical/chemical engineering, pharmaceutical sciences) with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience. Masters or PhD is preferred but not required. Time spent in advanced degree programs may be considered as equivalent relevant experience.
- In depth understanding of materials used within biopharmaceutical process, including but not limited to cell culture media, chemicals, excipients, consumables, and single-use systems.
- Knowledge of common material analytical tools and demonstrated experimental skills for lab work may be required.
- Experience in sterile manufacturing plant(s) including filter validation, extractable/leachable testing, compatibility testing.
- Knowledge of and application relating to compendial requirements for materials/excipients such as USP, EP, JP, etc.
- Fluency in Spanish and English language is preferred
- Candidates must possess excellent organizational skills and strong attention to details, proficient experimental/troubleshooting aptitude, be self-motivated and demonstrate a high degree of initiative.
- Experience with cGMP regulations, regulatory requirements, and CMC authoring for biologics processes are a plus.
- The candidate should also possess strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work seamlessly in a multifunctional team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively navigate ambiguity and complexity, and translate into accomplishing challenging goals & objectives
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration, relationship building, and influencing without authority in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated excellence for verbal and written communication, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills to manage a large number of projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated proficiency & adaptability with related software tools (PowerPoint, Excel, Sharepoint, etc.)
- Accountability: We all own BMS’ success and strive to be transparent and deliver on our commitments
- Urgency: We move together with speed and quality because patients are waiting
- Innovation: We pursue disruptive and bold solutions for patients
- Passion: Our dedication to learning and excellence helps us to deliver exceptional results
- Integrity: We demonstrate ethics, integrity and quality in everything we do for patients, customers and colleagues
- Inclusion: We embrace diversity and foster an environment where we can all work together at our full potential
- Approximately 5-10% travel
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.