Principal Scientist, Protein and Antibody Engineering
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist to join our Protein Engineering group. The ideal candidate is a skilled scientific leader with a deep understanding of advances in protein and antibody engineering for developing innovative therapeutic modalities. The incumbent will be responsible for supervisory as well as hands-on laboratory research and data analysis, interpretation, and presentation in various forums to guide project decisions. The successful candidate will play a highly visible, impactful role in multidisciplinary teams and may serve as co-lead on the research programs. This scientific leader will also develop innovative technologies for antibody and protein engineering in collaboration with the computational modeling group and other scientists in the protein engineering group. This is an ideal position for an experienced protein engineer who is enthusiastic about creating novel protein-based therapeutics to modulate immune responses against cancer and immunological diseases, developing proof of concepts, and progressing early efforts in the discovery pipeline.
- Lead a small team that supports drug discovery programs through design, engineering, and characterization of protein therapeutics, including bispecific antibodies and fusion proteins.
- Lead design of expression constructs for complex multi-chain molecules, oversee collaborations with teams for protein expression, purification, and analysis.
- Drive innovation in the biologics space by contributing to internal efforts for exploratory programs, technology development, and scouting external technologies.
- Serve as Discovery Biotherapeutics representative to advance programs from early to late stage development.
- Present program updates and data at meetings.
- Contribute to patents, publications, conference presentations, and technical reports for regulatory submissions.
- Bachelor's Degree in structural biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, immunology, biophysics, molecular biology or related field and 8+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR Master's Degree in structural biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, immunology, biophysics, molecular biology or related field and 6+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR PhD in structural biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, immunology, biophysics, molecular biology or related field and 4+ years of academic / industry experience
- Ph.D. in structural biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, immunology, biophysics, molecular biology or related fields with 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Extensive background in protein engineering through experimental and/or computational methods, including familiarity with protein visualization software.
- Experienced in drug development processes.
- Expertise in molecular biology and protein attributes.
- Knowledge of cell based assays to measure functional activity.
- Track record of being innovative, adaptable, and scientifically rigorous.
- Desire to understand mechanism of actions of biologics and underlying target biology.
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational skills and accurate documentation of results.
- Ability to work collaboratively, prioritize tasks, and advance research activities to meet program timelines.
- Understanding of cancer immunology and cytokine pathways is a plus.
- Experience with techniques for structural analysis of proteins (crystallography, NMR…) is desirable.
- Fluency with techniques for analysis of protein-protein interactions (BLI, SPR, ITC…) is preferred.
- Demonstrate good understanding of library design and display workflows (phage, yeast, or mammalian) for molecular evolution.
Level will be commensurate with experience
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $121,000-$167,200, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.