Senior Scientist, Machine Learning, Molecular Discovery
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
We seek an enthusiastic and team-oriented machine learning scientist to join our Predictive Sciences team. This individual will contribute to our growing effort to apply cutting-edge AI/ML techniques toward the development of novel, small-molecule therapies.
You will be a valued member on a cross-functional team that seeks to continuously improve the process by which novel compounds are rationally designed and experimentally evaluated. The successful candidate will perform key research activities, including:
- developing and implementing machine learning models to predict attributes of therapeutic compounds,
- leveraging active machine learning approaches to guide experimental discovery activities focused on exploring vast chemical space
- driving in silico design of novel molecular therapies through generative modeling approaches
This individual will work as part of a multidisciplinary team that is focused primarily on targeted protein degradation as a therapeutic modality. You will be able to perform pioneering and impactful research alongside computational scientists, experimental biologists, and chemists, as we work towards the discovery and development of new therapies.
The role offers unprecedented opportunity to impact, directly, the origination and delivery of transformational and life-changing therapies in key diseases of unmet medical need. We encourage inquiries from those with a strong background in AI/ML who also have a strong interest in innovation and interdisciplinary application of computational approaches to life sciences data.
- Build and apply advanced deep learning models to predict molecular attributes that govern protein degradation, cellular phenotype, and disease state (e.g., using self-supervised learning, large language models, geometric deep learning, or graph neural networks).
- Leverage AI/ML approaches to guide experimental study design and to steer chemical design efforts towards small molecules with high therapeutic value (e.g., using generative active learning, reinforncement learning, autonomous discovery).
- Analyze chemistry, proteomics, transcriptomics, and other high throughput assay data from internal, public, and partner sources.
- Collaborate as a member of cross-functional teams to validate in silico findings and improve ML workflows.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results, and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Bachelor's Degree with machine learning focus in computer science, bioinformatics, computational chemistry, or a related field from a recognized higher-education institution and 7+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR Master's Degree with machine learning focus in computer science, bioinformatics, computational chemistry, or a related field from a recognized higher-education institution and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR PhD with machine learning focus in computer science, bioinformatics, computational chemistry, or a related field from a recognized higher-education institution and 2+ years of academic / industry experience
- Ph.D. with machine learning focus in computer science, bioinformatics, computational chemistry, or a related field from a recognized higher-education institution
- 2+ years postdoctoral experience applying computational research approaches in pharma/biotech, university, or hospital environments.
- Strong experience in applying contemporary deep learning methods, preferably with demonstrated application of either active, generative, graph-based, or geometric deep learning approaches
- Expertise in scientific programming languages (e.g., Python, R) and libraries (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow), cloud-based computing, and data manipulation.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, adaptability across disciplines, and collaborative nature.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Verbal and written English language fluency are prerequisite.
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $109,000-$150,700, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.