Senior Associate Scientist
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
BMS Discovery Immunology offers a highly energetic, vibrant and dynamic environment for you to take your career to the next level. If you are eager to learn cutting-edge techniques, love to collaborate cross-functionally and perform exciting research that really makes a difference for patients, apply now to join us!
We are currently seeking a highly motivated scientist with expertise in immunology, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases to join our Immunology & Inflammation Discovery Biology group in Cambridge, MA. The successful candidate must be detail-oriented and demonstrate strong technical expertise & understanding of cellular & molecular biology. The candidate will be responsible for running established protocols as well as developing new assays to validate therapeutic targets & perform detailed mechanism-of-action studies to support programs as they enter and move through clinical development. As a team member, the ideal candidate will work in close collaboration with colleagues from different functions, including non-clinical and clinical development, project leadership, translational medicine, and informatics to build and expand our innovative and life-changing therapies for patients with auto-immune diseases.
Job Requirements: This position requires a Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years or Master’s degree with 2+ years work experience in the field of biology, immunology or related scientific discipline in an academic or industry setting.
- Primary cell isolation from human & animal whole blood & tissues
- Design, plan & execute high-quality & well-controlled cellular assays, including cell stimulation, cytokine analysis & flow cytometry with minimal supervision, troubleshoot existing protocols as needed
- Design, validate and execute complex biochemical assays, including RNA/DNA isolation, real-time PCR, protein isolation and immunoblotting
- Independently analyze & interpret multi-parametric data sets & present data to peers when needed
- Maintain well-written & accurate research electronic notebook detailing work undertaken
- Comply with laboratory safety procedures
Qualifications & Experience
- Hands-on experience in isolation, culture & characterization of primary immune cells from human or animal blood and/or tissues is required
- Ability to perform molecular biology and biochemical assays including DNA/RNA preparation, RT-PCR, protein isolation, multiplex ELISA/MSD, ELISpot and Western blot
- Hands-on experience with immune cell activation & characterization assays, multi-parameter flow cytometry and data analysis (FlowJo), is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft office & Graphpad Prism applications
- Possess a thorough knowledge of experimental design and underlying scientific principles
- Ability to work independently and deliver high-quality, consistent data in a timely manner
- Ability to identify scientific and technical problems and work on potential solutions
- Excellent organizational, record keeping, oral and written communication skills
- Flexible, focused, enthusiastic & highly motivated
Why You Should Apply
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues. Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.