Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Principal Scientist / Senior Principal Scientist
We are seeking an experienced leader with strong analytical technical skills and a passion for strategic project leadership, mentoring others and driving technical innovation to solve challenging problems. This role will provide analytical subject matter expertise and analytical leadership within process development teams consisting of organic chemists, chemical engineers, analytical scientists to support an increasingly complex Portfolio of small molecules and milla-molecular (ADCs, peptides, oligonucleotides) drug candidates from phase 1 to commercialization. The successful candidate is expected to manage multiple projects, provide strategic leadership, collaborate with stakeholders to move the portfolio through development to regulatory submissions.
Overall responsibilities of this role may include:
- Coordinating the analytical activities in alignment with other project leads (process chemistry, engineering, technology and supply) to enable process innovation and invention.
- Developing phase appropriate analytical control strategies and coordinating method development, validation and transfer activities to support process development, internal/external campaigns, compliance needs and regulatory submissions.
- Providing fit-for-purpose analytical methods and analyses which provide key insights and process knowledge for scale-up and process optimization studies for projects within the portfolio.
- Appropriate resource planning and activity coordination of internal and external work packages.
- Partnering with other Analytical Functions across the Product Development and Commercial organizations to integrate/align analytical strategies, build development knowledge, collect necessary analytical data, and significantly influence specification setting and IND/NDA submission content.
- Capability to adapt and grow within a dynamic environment including both internally and externally based development activities. Collaborate with SMEs / project team on innovative analytical approaches to solve challenging problems. Leverage technical expertise to drive problem solving and knowledge gathering.
- Seeking opportunities to influence/mentor other scientists in the team, the wider analytical community or the external community (through consortia / guidance and publications) through lessons learned and workflow/ practice enhancements.
- Accountable for identifying opportunities and/or implementing solutions to improve efficiency, productivity and quality across various areas including: continuous processing, applying automation, screening, smart technology and vendor interactions.
The successful candidate is expected to significantly impact the advancement of the Portfolio through their strong analytical technical skills, strategic leadership and capability to manage multiple projects at various development stages. They are expected to grow into project leadership positions of increasing responsibility including the project leader for all drug substance development activities and become a significant influencer within our wider CMC development teams. Advancement along the technical ladder is also achievable through cross-functional problem solving, technology implementation/knowledge gathering that advance the Portfolio.
- Ph.D. or Masters in analytical, organic chemistry or engineering is required. Proven track record and experience directly relevant to the role is critical to success. Experience in working across matrixed and/or externalized teams highly desirable for Senior Principal Scientist position.
- 4+ years’ experience for Principal Scientist, and 6+ years’ experience for Senior Principal Scientist, in analytical development in the pharmaceutical industry. Experience in supporting API process development is preferred. Experience with late stage registrational filings is a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise in a wide variety of analytical techniques is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, collaborative, team building, and communication skills are desired to ensure effective collaborations within matrix teams. Demonstrated performance against cooperation principles and enterprise mindset.
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Summit West
Job Function: Pharma Dev/Process Dev
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.