Scientist, Next Generation Medicine Design
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Traditional targets and modalities that have provided rich substrates for medicine design and decades of productive industrial and academic research are not the primary targets of the future. There is a slow but steady shift in the target and modality landscape. Novel modalities such as protein degradation is an intense and hot area of scientific research.
We are seeking exceptional scientific leaders who have high energy, have high capacity to work in a rapid and fluid research environment, innately curious and pro-active leaders with versatile skills, to join the Molecular Structure & Design team with a focus on driving our Protein Homeostasis portfolio of projects. As part of our team, you would utilize structure-based and ligand-based computational chemistry methods combined with data visualization, data analysis, machine learning and AI techniques to design molecules with superior degradation and pharmacological properties.
In collaboration with multi-disciplinary Protein Degrader project teams, you will be expected to proactively lead projects, generate testable hypotheses, lead/design/execute complex computational experiments, provide in-depth analysis and interpretation of results, and translate them into actionable molecular designs that advance the discovery portfolio. Through close collaboration, clear communication, and technical excellence, you will work with scientists across the R&D organization to influence the pipeline from target identification and degrader optimization through to candidate nomination.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead and influence the prospective use of computational methods in rigorously evaluating therapeutic targets, protein degradation modality and degrader designs within project teams.
- In close collaboration with project teams, develop and apply a wide variety of design and computational methods to improve potency, selectivity, protein degradation profiles and ADME properties while minimizing toxicological risk and pro-actively influence decision making on project teams.
- Significantly enhance understanding of SAR and contribute to team strategy by assimilating and interpreting data using structural modeling, AI/ML, statistical and data-mining/data-visualization technologies.
- Develop and apply new approaches for designing bioactive-relevant features using multi parameter optimization methods.
- Pro-actively provide scholarship in early target space vis-à-vis competitive information, literature/patent reviews and mining, chemical matter feasibility assessment, target feasibility/modality assessment, druggability/binding site characterizations, as appropriate.
- Maintain and develop working knowledge of contemporary computational chemistry methods and their application to discovery projects.
- Demonstrated skills in the application of computer-assisted drug design using standard modeling and computational software packages
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyze literature and project data, formulate creative design hypotheses, data analysis and design novel agents in the context of project need.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a lead computational chemist on multiple discovery projects and be accountable for delivery of project goals
- A working knowledge of medicinal chemistry and discovery
- Basic programming experience in at least one scripting language (e.g., Perl, Python) or programming language (Java, C, C++)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and ability to work within a multidisciplinary team across geographic areas to advance discovery projects are required
- Personal attributes of integrity, creativity, problem solving, and strong work ethic
Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of Academic or Industry experience or
Master’s Degree with 3+ years of Academic or Industry experience or
PhD and no years of experience
- A completed Ph.D. in computational chemistry or a related field with strong application background as demonstrated by contributions to leading journals
- Demonstrated expertise in a subset of computational methods: docking methods, molecular dynamics simulations, homology modeling approaches, free energy simulations, AI/machine learning techniques, statistical methods, large-scale data visualization/analysis and multiple parameter optimization methods and a familiarity with the rest.
- Demonstrated experience in applying computational methods to diverse biological targets such as different protein families, DNA, RNA using different modalities such as traditional modulators, allosteric modulators, covalent agents, chimeric protein degraders, molecular glues, antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates is preferred.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.