Scientist Biotherapeutics Characterization
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
The Discovery Biotherapeutics team at Bristol-Myers Squibb seeks to understand the structure and function of complex molecules such as antibodies and endogenous proteins in order to optimize their utility as therapeutic agents. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists embedded in the Thematic Research Centers & Integrative and Predictive Sciences (IPS) in order to prosecute Targets and Biological pathways with disease modifying potential. By using a blend of internal and external technologies and capabilities, we work to discover and deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules that warrant clinical evaluation for patient benefit.
Bristol Myers Squibb is seeking a highly motivated and innovative Scientist with demonstrated expertise in protein sciences including biophysical, biochemical and bioanalytical characterization of monoclonal antibodies, bi/multispecifics, Fc-fusion proteins, peptides, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), to join our Discovery Biotherapeutics team. Responsibilities will include a range of activities related to antibody and protein characterization including but not limited to SPR, BLI, high-throughput plate-based screening, SEC-MALS, etc. The ideal candidate should also have knowledge/experience in protein chemistry, protein engineering, in silico modeling and prediction, and generation of large high-quality datasets to aid in generating training datasets for AI/ML guided therapeutic design.
- Develop, perform, and troubleshoot protein-protein interactions, kinetic profiling, competition, efficacy and epitope binning assays using a wide range of biophysical, biochemical and bioanalytical methods such as Biacore, Octet, KinExa, GCI, ITC, MST, etc. to support research and early development activities for a range of modalities including antigens, Fc-fusion proteins, standard and bi-/multi-specific antibodies, VHH, ADCs, etc.
- Establish and execute on high-throughput plate-based methodologies including ELISA, HTRF, AlphaLISA, FLISA, split protein/enzyme, flow cytometry, fluorescence, multiplexed assay, etc. to support screening of early leads to late-state optimization of antibodies, bispecifics, etc.
- Establish and execute on early to late-stage characterization for the developability of biotherapeutics including biophysical and bioanalytical methods including plate-based assays, chromatographic methods, stability and aggregation propensities, structural properties, etc. with the goal of feeding training sets for ML and utilizing the output for improved therapeutic design.
- Demonstrate significant expertise in biophysical and bioanalytical characterization of large molecules and protein-protein interactions using biophysical techniques such as SPR, BLI, ITC, CD, DSC, SEC-MALS, LC/MS, light scattering, mass photometry, etc.
- Prepare and present data and updates to project and functional teams, official reports and SOPs for internal and external purposes, internal documents/reports for regulatory filings and HA interactions.
- Work on multiple concurrent internal and external projects including biophysical characterization, protein integrity, protein expression, and purification
- Stay current on biophysical and biochemical technologies and relevant literature, recognize risks and propose contingency plans.
- Collaborate with multiple teams across the organization, to support and share methodologies, align on efforts, and harmonize experimentation
- Manage lab/equipment organization and maintenance.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biophysics, Biochemistry and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR Master's Degree in Biophysics, Biochemistry and 3+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry and No experience required
- PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry or related discipline with 0-1 year relevant experience; or MS with at least 6 years work experience; or BS with 8 years work experience; Work experience is ideally in a biotech/pharma/industry environment.
- Proven track record of developing binding assays for monoclonal, bi/multispecific antibodies, ADCs using all or any of the following techniques: Biacore, KinExa, Octet, HTRF, AlphaELISA, ELISA.
- Experience with high-throughput screening and automated liquid handling
- Experience/knowledge with expression and purification of recombinant therapeutic proteins including design and execution from DNA to protein
- Exceptional organizational & time management skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential.
Skills/Knowledge in one or more of the following areas are a plus:
- In silico modeling and prediction: homology modeling (e.g. MOE, Schrodinger, etc), correlation of structure based calculations/properties with experimental data, structure-activity relationship, etc.
- Knowledge/experience in protein and antibody engineering. Collaborate with the protein engineering teams to aid in the design of molecules with improved properties.
- Experience in structural biology (x-ray crystallography, cyro-EM, nsEM, NMR)
- Experience and knowledge of protein and antibody structure, sequences, engineering and design.
- Knowledge of antibody-based and computational databases for analysis and design of sequences (IMGT, OAS, ProteinMPNN, AlphaFold2, etc.)
- Experience/knowledge of machine learning and artificial intelligence for the ab initio design and optimization of biologics.
- Experience with programming languages like python, R, etc. is a plus
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $ 97,000 - $135, 300 plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.