Scientist - Protein Display Technologies
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative, and versatile Scientist to join our collaborative Protein Engineering team to drive technological innovation, discover and characterize protein therapeutic candidates. Our group acts on new ideas in the laboratory and thrives on the design-build-test cycle. You will solve complex protein engineering problems, collaborate with talented colleagues, and share what you learn. Responsibilities include protein purification and biochemical characterization, understanding and engineering antibody-target interactions, and conducting engineering campaigns using display technologies (yeast or phage).
- Drive efforts to engineer antibodies, bispecifics, and alternative biologics formats for optimal therapeutic performance
- Conduct biochemical experiments to understand antibody-target interaction
- Contribute to development of DNA library-based multiplexed assays using display technologies for antibody engineering and epitope characterization
- Independently perform complex experiments, troubleshoot, and pursue solutions with strong attention to detail and documentation practices
- Perform routine molecular biology techniques, design expression constructs, and coordinate construct and library orders with CROs
- Interpret results and present program updates and data at meetings.
- Accomplish goals under project team timelines.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Molecular Biology, or related fields and 5+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR Master's Degree in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Molecular Biology, or related fields and 3+ years of academic / industry experience
- OR PhD in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Molecular Biology, or related fields No experience required
- Fundamental understanding of proteins, antibodies, and structure-function relationships required. Familiarity with protein structure analysis (Pymol, Chimera).
- Some experience and enthusiasm to work with display technologies (yeast, phage).
- Protein expression and purification using AKTA systems, characterization techniques (including analytical-SEC, SDS-PAGE, and MS).
- Ability to design and execute in vitro assays to evaluate protein function.
- Familiarity with techniques for protein-protein interaction analysis (BLI, SPR).
- Some experience with flow cytometry, FACS, and comfort with using/maintaining flow-based instrumentation is nice to have, but not required.
- Bioinformatics experience is nice to have but not required (Unix, Python, or R).
- Some experience with cell culture and developing cell-based assays is nice to have but not required.
- Excellent written and oral skills are necessary to communicate results to project teams.
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $ 97,000 - $135, 300 plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.