Staff Research Scientist: Responsible Tech Research
The Responsible and Inclusive Technologies research group is seeking qualified candidates with background in computer science, artificial intelligence, applied mathematics or equivalent areas to contribute to our research on the design and development of responsible technologies. As part of our team, you will have the unique opportunity to research advanced and emerging technologies, including foundation models and our particular focus on supporting human practices, engendering trusted insights and reflecting human values through these models.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate for this position will have previous experience training and evaluating machine learning models, specifically large language models. Candidates are expected to be attuned to understanding and appreciating the societal and ethical implications of such models and should be comfortable in conducting in-depth and critical analyses of models, exploring their various aspects and attributes, such as, robustness, value-adherence, and faithfulness to human instructions. This will require in-depth understanding of and ability to gain knowledge on techniques for model instruction and control. As result, the candidate should be able to propose and develop novel methods to align models to social values and principles.
Candidates should also be qualified to address questions relating to the design and use of advanced technologies, tech ethics and AI fairness, and is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and collaboration. Demonstrated communication skills and the ability to work independently, as well as in a diverse team, are highly desired traits.
You must be willing to work in our research lab in Yorktown Heights, NY.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
- Healthcare benefits including medical & prescription drug coverage, dental, vision, and mental health & well being
- Financial programs such as 401(k), the IBM Employee Stock Purchase Plan, financial counseling, life insurance, short & long- term disability coverage, and opportunities for performance based salary incentive programs
- Generous paid time off including 12 holidays, minimum 56 hours sick time, 120 hours vacation, 12 weeks parental bonding leave in accordance with IBM Policy, and other Paid Care Leave programs. IBM also offers paid family leave benefits to eligible employees where required by applicable law
- Training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform where IBMers can grow skills and obtain industry-recognized certifications to achieve their career goals
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups, giving & volunteer opportunities, and discounts on retail products, services & experiences
The compensation range and benefits for this position are based on a full-time schedule for a full calendar year. The salary will vary depending on your job-related skills, experience and location. Pay increment and frequency of pay will be in accordance with employment classification and applicable laws. For part time roles, your compensation and benefits will be adjusted to reflect your hours. Benefits may be pro-rated for those who start working during the calendar year.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM