Cardiologist Physician Scientist, Translational Medicine
Cardiologist Physician Scientist, Translational Medicine
Nov 22, 2023
About the Role
This position is located at our Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely.
About the role:
The number 1 cause of death in men and women globally is cardiovascular diseases, taking an estimated 17.9 million lives each year (nearly a third of all death). Novartis is committed to developing transformative treatments for cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, including heart failure, arrhythmias and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, as well as diseases across a wide range of therapeutic areas.
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis that collaborates across the company and beyond, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm of NIBR, and includes about 900 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application.
The TM Discovery & Profiling (TMDP) is a group of physicians and clinical researchers who drive innovative science from discovery to the patient through the selection, profiling, and effective development of medicines. Translational medicine experts oversee Phase 1 and 2 clinical trials to demonstrate proof-of-concept (PoC) in patients, as well as support for Phase 3 development. Translational medicine experts are key and highly visible members of global cross-functional project teams that design and implement early research and discovery projects, that then culminate in clinical PoC studies. Translational medicine experts collaborate with colleagues in biology and chemistry to identify targets in diseases with significant unmet medical needs and provide input on likely clinical development pathways. The PoC studies led by our translational medicine experts are among the most critical steps in drug development at Novartis. After PoC and if the program proceeds to full development, the translational medicine expert continues as a key member of the full development team up to and including registration.
As a Cardiovascular Metabolism (CVM) TM Expert, you will collaborate with the CVM TM Head or other experienced TM Expert to develop high value decision-strategies for the Translational Medicine component of drug development projects and lead global cross-functional project teams through the PoC phase and beyond.
Your main accountabilities will be:
• Lead global project teams through PoC phase to drive implementation of the PoC strategy; participate in project teams through program life cycle from NTRC to registration.
• Responsible for clinical portions of the Integrated Development Plan (IDP) through PoC.
• Responsible for implementation of studies during the PoC phase by providing medical and scientific leadership and expertise to all line functions on the project team. This may include methodology studies to identify and validate novel endpoints for early decision making in PoC studies.
• Acts as medical monitor for one or more global clinical studies.
• Communicate clinical team matters to project teams and relevant Decision Boards (DADB).
• Convene relevant (internal and external) leaders together to consider the proposed approach to PoC.
• Evaluate clinical centers and foster communication with crucial collaborating investigators.
• Oversee publication and external presentation of PoC clinical study results.
• Accountable for compound related biomarker strategies; works closely with Biomarker Experts in implementation.
• In collaboration with research scientists, identify, develop, and implement strategy for preclinical support of program-related objectives. This includes assessment of medical need, proposal of clinical development pathways, and review of preclinical data for clinical implications, and other relevant activities.
• Participate in team presentations to health authorities as TM expert.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know the nature of your request, your contact information and the job requisition number in your message:
- Novartis: e-mail [email protected] or call +1 [Register to View]
- Sandoz: e-mail [email protected] or call: +1-[Register to View]
- Doctoral degree, MD required with clinical subspecialty training preferred in cardiovascular and metabolic disease; Additional PhD/post-doctoral equivalent research preferred
- At least 5 years’ experience in a pharmaceutical/biotech company, CRO, or academic medical center, or related experience
- Recognized for medical expertise.
- Recognized for scientific expertise: respected by colleagues internally and externally, have made significant contributions to the field and created / established new concepts; record of high quality publications in international scientific journals.
- Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills.
- Independence: Able to work independently on study planning and execution, and with supervision on project planning.
- Innovation: Seeks out new clinical discovery opportunities and PoC approaches.
- Demonstrated passion for science.
Why Novartis: Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people’s lives and our vision is to become the most valued and trusted medicines company in the world. How can we achieve this? With our people. It is our associates that drive us each day to reach our ambitions. Be a part of this mission and join us! Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
You can find everything you need to know about our benefits and rewards in the Novartis Life Handbook.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams’ representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1[Register to View] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Novartis Compensation and Benefit Summary: The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $257,600 - $386,400/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
No video provider was found to handle the given URL. See the documentation (https://www.drupal.org/node/2842927) for more information.
Company / Legal Entity
Research & Development