Research Scientist I ( R-00055122 )
The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Scientist to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Develop, lead, and conduct protocol-driven scientific research addressing various aspects of military medicine, including, but not limited to:
- Prevention Strategies for Dental Caries Using Phage Therapy
- Novel Diagnosis and Treatment of Envenomation by Venomous Marine Animals for Marine Expeditionary Forces
- Application of Teledentistry in Dental Emergencies at Sea and Overseas
- Simulated Field Storage of Dental Materials
- Identify and design consensus/unique amino acid sequences of venom proteins
- Screen a phage display library against snake venom peptides
- Conduct phage panning, ELISA, and venom activity assays
- Evaluate the various effects and efficacy of anti-venom on inhibiting cellular and systemic damage induced by snake venoms
- Collaborate with engineers, biologists, analytical chemists, toxicologists, and veterinary science staff
- Initiate new hypothesis-driven research and prepare technical reports, manuscripts, posters, abstracts, and proposals.
- Participate in key meetings with sponsors and other team members
- Develop various presentation materials and present findings at technical and professional meetings.
- Oversee junior personnel associated with research projects; manage research data.
- A Ph.D. in cell biology, molecular biology, or microbiology. A Masters Degree with 2+ years related lab experience will also be considered.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with ability to obtain Secret clearance
- Knowledge of molecular biology, bacteriology, proteomics, and safety procedures
- Experience with bacterial growth, tissue staining, tissue culture, ELISA, RT-PCR, and immunofluorescent staining
- Professional experience with genetic engineering, phage biology
- Knowledge of dental materials and applications