Research Scientist (2110531)
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson is an international media company with businesses in education, consumer publishing, and business information. Pearson’s School Curriculum group is the leading preK-12 curriculum, testing, and software company in the US, reaching every student and teacher in that country with one or more of our products and services. We offer a wide range of solutions that integrate our instructional, assessment, and reporting capabilities. These instructional offerings include basal and supplemental programs, and technology-delivered adaptive learning solutions. Pearson provides industry-leading, digital instructional solutions for preK-12 (Pearson Digital Learning), as well as student information, assessment, reporting and business solutions (Pearson School Systems). In fact, nearly 50% of US schools use at least one of our student curriculum, instructional management and financial software packages. Additionally, we are the largest comprehensive provider of educational assessment services and solutions in the US (Assessment & Information), developing, scoring, and processing tens of millions of student tests every year. We lead in automated written answer scoring (Pearson Knowledge Technologies), and providing scanning and Optical Mark Reader software and hardware solutions, and psychological assessments for education, commercial and other markets (Pearson Assessments).
The research scientist position described here is part of the Pearson Psychometric and Research Services group, which is part of the Testing, Measurement, and Research Services group and the larger Assessment and Information group.
Pearson research scientists provide the full range of psychometric support to state and national customers, develop innovative techniques and processes, and conduct cutting-edge research studies.
Education and Work Experience
- Doctoral degree in educational measurement or a related field from a nationally recognized institution of higher education
- AND at least one year of relevant job experience, preferably with a testing program that has gone through a complete operational cycle OR at least one year of relevant job experience on a significant grant-funded research project
Familiarity with Psychometric Techniques or Techniques Associated with Other Relevant Areas of Expertise
- Experience with applied psychometric techniques in a job setting—including classical test theory, item response theory, test equating, scaling, linking, and standard setting
- OR experience with applied techniques associated with the scientist's specific area of expertise
Familiarity with Software Packages and Programming Languages
- Experience with software packages and programming languages commonly used in psychometric work or measurement research (e.g., SAS, SPSS, WINSTEPS, BILOG, MULTILOG, PARSCALE, C++, SPLUS, FORTRAN)
Scaling and Equating
- Shows sufficient familiarity with common scaling and equating designs to review and draft technical documentation (including technical specifications)
- Conducts and guides analyses for item calibration, linking, and equating
- Designs, documents (including technical specifications), and conducts analyses for item calibration, linking, and equating
Grants, Research, and External Funding
- Develops study design and research analysis specifications for proposed research studies
- Identifies study limitations and study parameters to optimize analyses and design in grants/applications for external funding and in research publications
Test Construction/Field Testing
- Works closely with other research scientists, data analysts, subject-matter experts, and/or clients/customers in the construction of test forms and the preparation of items for various testing purposes
- Contributes to technical designs of proposals
- Writes associated text under guidance from more senior research scientists
Knowledge of Educational Trends
- Articulates and uses knowledge of national and state trends in education in assigned operational assessment programs or research projects
Communication Skills, Technical Presentations, and Client Contact
- Demonstrates communication skills (oral, written, and business) necessary to function effectively as a primary contact with internal project teams and external clients with guidance from more senior research scientists
- Communicates about general state and national educational issues
- Presents technical information to different audiences (e.g., client groups or technical advisory committees) with guidance from more senior research scientists
- Presents at national conferences
- Serves as the primary contact for Pearson Psychometric and Research Services (e.g., represents group in meetings and in other communications) for internal and external clients for a small-to-medium operational testing program or research project or for a portion of a large and complex testing program or research project
Project and Talent Management
- Demonstrates project management skills necessary to lead all Pearson Psychometric and Research Services aspects of a small-to-medium operational assessment program or research project or a portion of a large and complex assessment program or research project
- Supports hiring process through applicant interviewing
- Provides career plan consultation and advice
- Aligns goals with published department goals
- Follows existing processes and documents processes when necessary
Working Location and Travel
- Requires working onsite in a Pearson office
- Willingness to travel as necessary
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $100,000- $115,000. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here: http://www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Job: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 2110531