Acoustics Research Scientist ( R-00063583 )
The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) at Leidos keep our Department of Defense customers at the leading edge of technology by designing, demonstrating, and deploying unique algorithms to solve complex undersea sensing problems. We are currently seeking an Acoustics Research Scientist to work in our Arlington, VA office.
As a Research Scientist in Acoustics, you will apply your skills to a wide variety of problems and data sets, primarily focused on algorithms and modeling of undersea systems. Current projects include auto-detection and classification of acoustic targets. You will bring experience, entrepreneurship, and creativity to our programs. You will interact with customers, lead technical project teams, and spearhead growth in new areas. We are looking for someone to join our team onsite, although we offer flexibility to work from home part-time or have flexible in-office hours.
This position is based out of Arlington, VA however we are able to offer relocation assistance for qualified candidates.
- Work on and lead interdisciplinary teams to design, develop, and deploy algorithms to process undersea acoustic data
- Conduct performance analysis on underwater systems using SONAR equation and time-domain modeling tools, and acoustic propagation models
- Participate in customer briefings
- Create new project ideas and brief those ideas internally to Leidos and externally to customers
- BS degree in a scientific field such as math, physics, or engineering with 8 –12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6–10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- 1-5 years of practical experience in undersea acoustic system design, undersea acoustic communications, and/or underwater acoustic propagation modeling
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance
- Experience working and collaborating on multi-disciplinary teams, including leading technical teams and mentoring less experienced scientists
- Experience using Python and/or Matlab
- Masters with and 6+ years of prior relevant experience or PhD with prior relevant experience.
- DoD Secret Security Clearance
- 5+ years of practical experience in undersea system acoustic modeling and algorithm development
- Proficiency in standard underwater propagation modeling techniques, including normal modes, ray tracing, and parabolic equation models.
- Track record of research in acoustic signal processing or propagation modeling with high impact publications
- Strong fundamentals in problem solving and algorithm design
- Understands how to translate customer requirements and mission needs to end-to-end solutions