Senior Computational Biologist
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an inventor like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are seeking a highly qualified and motivated Computational Biologist with a strong background in microbiology to join our team in Cambridge, MA. This individual will join the Cell Based Sciences team in Analytical Research and Development and collaborate closely with colleagues across the company's network. The company's Analytical Research & Development group (Research Division AR&D) is a global operating department which is responsible for development of innovative analytical methods for quality control of our Human Health Vaccines and Biological Products. Within the Molecular & Viral Safety team, the development, validation and implementation of Next Generation Sequencing applications is a key activity. The successful candidate will have a track record of innovative and collaborative research using approaches in bioinformatics to answer questions in microbiology and virology.
In this exciting role you will:
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of scientists to perform analyses for safety control of the biomanufacturing process, genetic characterization, transcriptome analysis or troubleshooting activities
- Adapt computational approaches and pipelines for novel applications
- Embody FAIR standards (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) to maintain a well-documented, reproducible, and versioned codebase
- Thrive within multi-disciplinary global teams to communicate scientific findings in an exciting fast-paced environment to drive progress
- B.S. (with 8 years relevant experience), M.S. (with 5 years relevant experience) or Ph.D. in Biology or other life sciences with a strong computational biology component, or a computational biology degree with a strong biology component
Required Experience and Skills:
- Strong programming experience (e.g. R and/or Python)
- Unix/Linux OS experience and Bash scripting
- Experience working in high performance computing and cloud environments and managing data and workflows
- Experience working with version control tools such as git (e.g. GitHub, BitBucket)
- Proven track record using computational methods in at least one next generation sequencing modality
- Familiarity with a variety of NGS methods and technologies (e.g. whole genome shotgun sequencing, whole genome sequencing, long-read sequencing)
- Strong collaboration, organization, and communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Research experience in any of the following areas: microbiome/microbiology, genomics, evolutionary biology, data science
- Familiarity or experience with microbiome analysis tools (e.g. Mothur or Qiime) and genomics tools (e.g. Bowtie, BLAST)
- Familiarity with bacterial genome assembly and long read sequencing analysis
- Experience in sequencing-based diagnostics
- Familiarity or experience with relevant “bench” methods (e.g. PCR, sequencing library preparation, ELISA/ELISpot, FACS, microbial culturing)
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico – Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) (“Customer-Facing Role”) who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Hybrid
Shift:1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1