Senior Director of Employee/Labor Relations - UnitedHealth Group - Telecommute (112166315)
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Sr. Director, Employee/Labor Relations (“E/LR”) is responsible for enterprise Labor Relations strategy. The Sr. Director designs and develops proactive, preventive strategies and approaches consistent with the enterprise Labor Relations strategy and Human Capital priorities (e.g., maintaining a positive, direct relationship with employees). The Sr. Director also provides thought leadership and tactical expertise on Department of Labor investigations, audits, and potential issues related to FLSA and/or Wage and Hour.
The role provides, as need arises, expertise responsive to evolving labor and employee relations needs, which may include leading the enterprise through pre- and/or post-NLRB petition preventive campaigns and participating in collective bargaining strategy discussions and tactical negotiations should the need arise. The role sits within the Human Capital Services (“HCS”), Employee Relations function under the enterprise VP, Global Employee Relations and is responsible for establishing key relationships across the enterprise with business leaders, Human Capital colleagues, employment law, other key stakeholders.
The Sr. Director supports the team by lending subject matter expertise, sharing guidance, and adopting a continuous improvement mindset, to support all team members, contributing to an optimal employee experience for internal team members as well as all those the function supports.
Core responsibilities include program development, mitigating legal and business risks, navigating escalations, ensuring consistent application of policies and procedures, and contributing to the modernization and transformation of our workplace policies and approaches as a member of the Global Employee Relations leadership team. This leadership role will be expected to drive innovation and performance throughout the team and strive to ensure best practice case management techniques and protocols when concerted activity and/or labor organizing concerns arise. The Sr. Director will serve as a resource to Senior ER leadership and COE partners. The Sr. Director will participate and contribute as part of the ER leadership team, effectively partnering and collaborating with ER Case Management and ER Investigation team leadership, HCPs, and business leaders as appropriate. The Sr. Director may also be asked, where relevant, to participate in Sr. HC/COE leadership meetings related to key enterprise initiatives and/or strategic HC priorities. Further, this role may be asked to assist with complex or sensitive employee relations investigations as a supplement to the ER Investigation’s team, e.g., the Sr. Director may be asked to lead or assist with complex investigations and/or climate assessments where employee relations/labor or other substantial employment risk is identified. May lead and/or partner in Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) negotiations, administration as appropriate.
Common Language of Leadership:
- Reading and Understanding Individuals
- Technical and Functional Skills
- Interpersonal Agility
- Motivating and Influencing
- Demonstrating Presence
- Achievement Drive
- Conflict Management and Agility
- Organizational Agility
- Marketing Savvy
- Information Management and Communication
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Thought leader on Labor Relations trends, best practice preventive strategies and other labor relations matters and serves as a resource to VP, Global Employee Relations
- Development and execution of proactive labor/positive employee relations training programs, approaches and resources aimed at educating and supporting business leaders at scale; serves as a partner and collaborator with Human Capital Partners and other key stakeholders in support of resolution of workplace issues
- Identifies need and designs strategies/tactics to address any instances of protected concerted activity
- Drives enterprise response in the face of any suspected third party organizing, picketing or internal labor unrest
- Conducts live and/or virtual Positive Employee Relations training sessions for Human Capital and enterprise people leaders
- Ensure development of policies to ensure compliance and sound practices with regard to any new and existing labor and employment laws, e.g., non-solicitation, as well as modern workplace policies to foster employee engagement and optimal employee experience
- Support and drive innovation, HCS vision and continuous improvement, customer centric, growth mindset throughout the team
- Drive technology enhancements and advancement of employee experience and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) programs throughout Employee Relations
- Conduct research and benchmarking on relevant to programs, policies, guidelines, practices and make recommendations regarding policies and protocols
- Partner with ER leadership team COE partners, legal, and other Human Capital, and business stakeholders to ensure legal, process and regulatory compliance
- Participate as appropriate in M&A due diligence discussions and integration processes
- Identify process improvements for the L/ER function and make recommendations regarding policies and procedures
- Draw on solid communication and presentation skills to convey complex, often nuanced, and subtle messages, clearly in a manner appropriate for varied audiences and topic; ability to empower others to act with confidence and accuracy
- Adept at swiftly gaining buy-in, confidence of key stakeholders to execute time sensitive plans
- Collaborative approach to engage key partners and stakeholders and demonstrated ability to balance business demand for support and capacity when setting priorities for the organization
- May be asked to assist with issues arising under the FLSA, including investigation management, direct dealings with the US DOL (W&H), etc.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in Labor Relations or Human Resources, or equivalent foundational knowledge in Labor Relations
- 10+ years of progressive experience in either leading labor relations function or in labor/employee relations leadership roles
- 10+ years of experience working in both union free environments and union represented environments, including hybrid environments
- 5+ years of experience supervising others including coaching, educating, and mentoring employees
- Demonstrated ability to lead large scale preventive labor relations preventive strategies including both pre- and post-petition defensive organizing campaigns
- Advanced knowledge and experience navigating federal and state labor laws such as National Labor Relations Act and Taft-Hartley
- Demonstrated experience managing issues related to state and federal employment laws that affect employment including FMLA, ADA, Title VII/Civil Rights Act, FLSA, OWBPA, and Wage/hour experience
- Knowledge and experience in the collective bargaining process, organizing process, contract negotiations, grievance handling, and managing labor and management relationships
- Knowledge of procedures used to investigate and resolve employee grievances including grievance procedures under a CBA
- Experience managing in environments where some employees are covered by a collective bargaining unit and others are not
- Knowledge of current and leading-edge developments, organizations, key players, and practices in the arena of corporate social responsibility
- Experience demonstrating effective consultation and influencing skills; ability to lead groups without defined authority
- Demonstrated successful experience with constructive confrontation, conflict resolution and analysis (problem assessment, solution generation)
- Experience in working in an urgency-paced team environment
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Master’s degree in Labor Relations or Juris Doctorate
- Additional Labor Relations training/education and practical experience
- Experience working in a large, global, matrixed environment (e.g., shared service delivery model)
- Labor relations experience in both healthcare and operational settings
- Employee Relations leadership and/or Issue Resolution and Investigations Experience
- Exposure to M&A through a labor/employee relations lens
- Exposure to international labor environments (APAC, LATAM, EMEA)
- Demonstrated dynamic, platform presentation skills
- Proven track record as a leader that values employee/customer experience, DEI, and growth mindset
- Demonstrated sound decision-making ability and expertise in making sound situational judgments
- Advanced level of proficiency with MS Office
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $134,200 to $257,700. The salary/hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $134,200 to $257,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow.
Already Fortune 6, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.