Lead Labor Negotiator
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
The Lead Negotiator is responsible to serve as FirstEnergy’s chief agent in labor relations and negotiations of assigned unions and the administration of labor relations programs and activities and works collaboratively with union leaders and business leaders to improve and align labor relations with the FirstEnergy core values, policies and procedures. Oversees negotiation teams, the interpretation and application of contract language and implementation of collective bargaining agreements and settlements. This includes defining objectives and development of appropriate negotiation strategies and tactics to achieve cost effective and competitive labor agreements, contract administration, grievance and arbitration administration and preparation. This position also provides support to the respective management team and is responsible for administering, safeguarding, and training supervisors and managers on the labor agreement.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Managing the grievance and arbitration process to ensure thorough, timely and effective adjudication of employee complaints and grievances; working with management and union leaders to resolve disputes.
- Overseeing labor agreement administration including advising operating management on disciplinary and contract interpretation issues to ensure compliance with local labor agreements, assisting management in developing policies and systems consistent with maximizing management flexibility.
- Maintaining positive relationships with union leadership.
- Providing advice on overall employee relations activities.
- Working with Business Units and Corporate Human Resources (benefits, compensation) to ensure alignment with corporate policies and procedures during the negotiations process.
- Oversees applicable employee communications.
- Develops / delivers targeted training, as needed.
- Supports Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
- Ensuring compliance with the National Labor Relations Act and other applicable laws.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or related discipline required; JD or master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years professional work experience required with labor relations experience including Chief Spokesperson experience.
- Experience in all aspects of human resources, employee relations, company/union relations and employment law.
- Proven leadership and demonstrated knowledge, skill and experience in contract language/negotiations, arbitration, grievance, employment/labor law.
- Experience in the administration of the grievance and arbitration processes.
- Experience preparing cases for arbitration is required; experience in presenting arbitration cases preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment; proven ability to work and communicate with all levels of the organization from the hourly employees to executive management.
- Ability to translate legal/labor law, contract, policies to coach managers in resolving day-to-day issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Above average computer and systems knowledge (HRIS, MS Office and Outlook).
- Demonstrated change leadership.
- Ability to identify the “big picture” and set strategy yet extrapolates to the tactical.
- Detail-oriented with very strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team