A career in IBM Software means you'll be part of a team that transforms our customers challenges into solutions.
Seeking new possibilities and always staying curious, we are a team dedicated to creating the world's leading AI-powered, cloud-native software solutions for our customers. Our renowned legacy creates endless global opportunities for our IBMers, so the door is always open for those who want to grow their career.
We are seeking a skilled backend engineer to join Platform Engineering team for Data and AI organization within IBM Software. As part of our team, you will be responsible for designing, building, maintaining the underlying infrastructure and tools necessary to support and enable software development, deployment, and operations at scale.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM, you will be part of Platform Engineering team for Cloud Pak for data, supporting our enterprise customers in deploying and building AI-powered, cloud-native software solutions. This role focuses on designing, implementing, and managing containerized environments, with a strong emphasis on network and storage infrastructure. As part of Platform Engineering team, you will be responsible for
- Designing and building the underlying infrastructure, such as servers, networks, and storage systems, that support the software applications and services.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and implement container storage solutions and strategies, leveraging technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, or similar containerization platforms.
- Develop and manage container storage systems, including persistent storage solutions for various containerized applications.
- Optimize container network performance and troubleshoot issues related to container networking, storage, and data persistence.
- Work with external vendors for their storage selection, performance testing and verification.
- Developing and managing the tools and services necessary for continuous integration, continuous delivery, and deployment automation.
- Defining and implementing the best practices for system configuration, health check monitoring, and performance optimization.
- Implement best practices for container security, data integrity, and disaster recovery in containerized environments.
- Ensuring the overall quality, security, compliance, and reliability of the platform.
- Managing the platform’s lifecycle, including installs, upgrades, patching, and retirement.
- Stay updated with industry trends and emerging technologies related to container networking and storage, providing recommendations for improvements.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Strong understanding of diverse infrastructure platforms & concepts.
Experience with containers, containers orchestration software, cloud platforms. Good hold on technology like Kubernetes, Microservices, Cloud Storage, delivery pipelines, and REST APIs.
Deep understanding of multiple technical functions such as Storage NAS and SAN, network fundamentals
Experience in Storage hardware/software technologies such as:
IBM ODF / Spectrum Scale
NetApp – ONTAP, Astra
Storage management and optimization: upgrades, audits, performance monitoring and troubleshooting, migration, volume configuration and provisioning
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Knowledge and Expertise of leading development / QA projects.
- Knowledge of public cloud architecture, such as AWS, Azure, GCP etc.
- Knowledge of network protocols and implementation in hyper scale data center networks.
- Experience with integrated development environments (eg: Eclipse, Visual Studio Code)
- Experience with Source control management (eg Git): to enable teams to work together to manage changes to source code
- Experience with Microservices Architecture and design.
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
Being You @ IBM