Application Developer (.NET / C# / C / C++) (88265)
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Pursuant to the Government of Canada’s mandate that all federally regulated employers require their employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, CP requires all prospective employees to confirm their vaccination status as part of the hiring process and as a condition of continued employment.
- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- % of Travel: [[travel]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Application Developer - is accountable for maintaining and supporting core business systems and, analyzing, developing, testing, implementing and documenting changes to these systems that will contribute to the organization's ability to achieve its goals.
- Responsible for the delivery of business or system solutions within a System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodology;
- Responsible for support of business or system solutions in compliance with determined Service Level Agreements (SLA);
- Analyze, implement, maintain and document system software;
- Diagnose, isolate and debug software problems and perform problem resolutions;
- Review, analyze and modify programming systems, including encoding, testing, debugging and installing for a large-scale system;
- Support implementation of application programs; fix bugs when they occur;
- Participate in post-implementation reviews of both application development content and process to maximize and share learning;
- Lead the analysis of organizational needs for the development and implementation of applications;
- Ensure that systems are developed which meet the business needs and specifications;
- Ensure the operating efficiency of existing application systems;
- Maintain records for the documentation of systems development and revisions;
- Ensure adherence to best practices for enhancements and support; ensure adoption and adherence to defined support processes (e.g. incident management, change management, source code management, etc.);
- Design and code applications programs as needed; create test transactions and run unit and system integration tests.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Science or equivalent practical experience;
- 5+ years of practical experience in with using a wide variety of programming languages;
- Required: Strong Knowledge of .Net framework. Proficient in one or more of programing languages C, C++ or C#;
- Nice to Have: VB, Linux scripting, Perl Scripting, Oracle DB, Python;
- Knowledge in advanced multi-threading, asynchronous communication programming;
- Socket programming knowledge, understanding of IP based network protocols;
- Experience with MVVM architecture and frameworks, REST web api;
- 3+ years’ experience of supporting a 24 x 7 applications including diagnosing, isolating and debugging software problems;
- Proven expertise in root cause analysis and problem solving;
- Experience with providing on-call support to customers, this role requires participation in a 24 X 7 on-call support rotation;
- Experience with supporting complex, integrated systems;
- Ability to learn new systems quickly and independently;
- Knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle;
- Knowledge of Testing Strategies;
- Knowledge of programing best practices;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Team player, skilled at working in a highly collaborative manner;
- Proven strong communication skills - both written and oral - with technical and non-technical staff and with management;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment where continual change is routine.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").