Associate Distribution Engineer ( R-00073383 )
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Currently, we have an opportunity for Associate Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering in Birmingham, AL.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC). Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The associate level candidate need not be proficient in applicate customer engineering, construction standards, and software systems. Training will be provided by Leidos.
Background must haves
• Bachelors of Science in Electrical, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering required and 0-2 years of prior relevant experience or Masters degree: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
o (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
• Familiarity with PoleForeman, Bentley OpenUtilities Designer, GE Smallworld, Maximo
• Fundamentals of Engineer certification
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Working with client in the office or via a field visit
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up