Distinguished Engineer - MPLS Networks ( 590709-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We are constantly innovating to unleash the power of our network and technology and you can ensure we stay at the forefront, providing an unequalled customer experience. You will be a key member of the team focused on the technology evolution and refresh of the MPLS Core for Verizon.
- Collaborating with team members for introducing NGPC with focus on continued development of current PCEP controllers.
- Drawing a roadmap for a NG Controller which will be introduced to manage backbone path selection as defined by TE protocols to be deployed in the NGPC.
- Developing appropriate virtualized resources, defining their topology and modelling the controller solution within scope of the available compute resources to the network elements.
- Working with peer groups to for development management solution associated with typical FCAPS platforms will be required for these solutions. IT and BNC linkages for customer specific solutions over the controller will need to be identified.
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You are an experienced candidate who is adept at negotiating and communicating with leaders and executives at all levels of the organization. You are able to develop crisp and detailed presentation material which communicate your high level proposals while also having the writing and technical skills to define design parameters within structured documents to be shared with Operations, Implementation, Lab and Engineering teams. You look for areas for improvement, seek consensus for priority and then diligently pursue and 'sell' the solution to stakeholders.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have:
- A degree in engineering, computer science engineering or any business management field.
- Experience in building data networks including hands on with routers and/or firewalls to include device configuration, preferably with NetConf configuration protocol and use of YANG data model.
- Capabilities with OpenStack and CLI commands and administration, Linux/Unix scripting, data modeling protocols
- Configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Jenkins or with Python, Java scripting, SOAP, Ruby, and PHP programming experience. API development experience based on JSON and XML.
- Experience using common vendors such as Cisco, Nokia, or Juniper switches and routers, Palo Alto firewalls, F5 load balancers.
- Background in wireless services such as LTE, IMS, 5G.
- Experience with servers with ability for virtualization and containerization for applicability to network functions.
- Knowledge of customer solutions delivered by data networks L2 or L3 MPLS services or Dedicated Internet services; SD-WAN.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).