Distribution Engineer ( R-00080191-OTHLOC-PL-2D0747 )
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Leidos is seeking a Distribution Engineer in multiple offices across the US. Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain experience/expertise in:
- NESC expertise
- Interface with Clients
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include grid hardening and reliability, substation optimization, joint use make ready and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems. Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements.
The successful Distribution Engineer candidate will provide leadership for the following activities:
- Develop design and construction work packages for electrical overhead and underground distribution systems operating from 4kV through 138kV mostly associated with programmatic work such as overloaded transformers, inspection and maintenance, joint use, and inspection reports.
- Review work provided by Client and assess requirements of scopes.
- Comply with Leidos and Client Safety requirements as well as design and quality expectations.
- Coordinate with permit agencies, right-of-way specialists, system owners, field leaders, forestry leaders, and 3rd party owners for joint-owned poles
- Travel to sites as needed, perform inspections and return to the office to perform engineering design work.
- Perform engineering calculations such as: structural analysis for wood pole loading, guying calculations, specifying conductor sags and tensions for recommended spans, and calculation of voltage drop and flicker.
- Perform reviews of work by other engineers for submittal to Clients such as: structural analysis for wood pole loading, guying calculations, specifying conductor sags and tensions for recommended spans, and calculation of voltage drop and flicker.
- Perform quality control and encourage safe work practices while maintaining compliance with project scope, schedule and budget.
- Develop permitting documents for different AHJ’s.
- Provide engineering support during construction, including post-construction reviews to ensure all applicable engineering and construction standards have been met.
- Conduct root cause analysis of outages and mitigation using engineering principles and design.
Engineer Basic Qualifications:
- Requires BS Degree in Engineering and less than 2 years of prior relevant experience OR BS Degree in Non-Engineering and less than 5 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with NESC Standards, ESRI, AutoCAD and/or MicroStation, and GIS a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Willingness to perform both field and office work.
- Overnight travel may be required (10-20% travel).
- Ability to work in outdoor environments.
- Ability to utilize personal vehicle.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.