Robotics Engineer (Navigation) ( R-00081525 )
The Guidance Navigation and Control Department of the Leidos Innovation Center develops and deploys cutting edge alternative positioning systems for customers who can’t rely on GPS alone, and we need your help in the Rocket City (Huntsville, AL)! In this position you’ll be working on a mix of analytical and hands-on tasks including algorithm development, analysis, simulation, and field testing of autonomous navigation systems.
Your group primarily supports research and development as well as advanced prototyping for customers including DARPA, NASA, Air Force Research Laboratory, Office of Naval Research, and the Army CCDC Aviation and Missile Center. These customers need to get our advanced technology into the field! You’ll be a part of more than one small team of engineers (typically 3-5) working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of advanced capabilities. You’ll get to go demo your work in the field in front the customer! Are you excited about making advanced technologies work in the real world? Then we want you on our team!
Fun stuff on the job you will get to do:
- Develop, integrate, and analyze navigation fusion algorithms, including Extended Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, and Particle Filters
- Develop, integrate, and analyze computer vision techniques (including feature extraction, feature matching, optical flow, visual odometry, and Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) functions)
- Develop and utilize simulation testbeds to support algorithm testing and assessment
- Lead teams of 3-5 engineers doing the above and managing projects of this scale
- Travel with your team to demo your system to the customer on a variety of platforms, including aircraft, ground vehicles, pedestrians, and naval ships. Testing trips typically last for 1-2 weeks and occur 3-4 times a year.
Skills you will need to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent, 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s Degree and 2-6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- Experience with sensor fusion/estimation algorithms (e.g. Kalman Filters, Particles Filters, or Factor Graphs), and with computer vision algorithms (for instance openCV).
- Experience programming in MATLAB.
- Experience with C++ and/or Python
- Experience working with various sensor types (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS, cameras, LiDAR, etc.)
- Experience with the Linux operating environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead tasks, small programs, and small teams of engineers
- Demonstrated ability to lead customer interactions e.g. meetings, presentations, reports, etc.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- PhD in relevant field
- Experience with the Robot Operating System (ROS) and the OpenCV computer vision library
- Experience with interface communication standards / protocols including RS232, RS422, TCP/IP, and UDP to communicate with various sensors
- Experience using version control tools (GIT, Subversion, etc)