Data Protection Engineer ( 598382-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Verizon Corporate Information Security (CIS) organization securely enables the business by protecting assets and information across Verizon networks, infrastructure and applications. CIS integrates cybersecurity governance, policies, technologies and operations across Verizon, and works to incorporate security into the design of technology systems and services.
The Data Protection Services team provides enterprise-wide data protection capabilities, including tokenization and encryption, that underpin all of Verizon’s financial processes, from Point-of-Sale systems in Verizon stores, to payment processing in mobile apps, to bill payments, accounts receivable/payable and employee paycheck processing. The team supports data protection as at acquisition, at rest, in transit and in use, by supplying highly available and scalable technical services and partnering with stakeholder groups on broad data protection governance activities.
The Data Protection Services team provides leadership for the design, engineering and implementation of data protection services and capabilities across the enterprise, enabling data governance through the full data lifecycle. The team participates in solution design and development in areas such as Data Discovery and Classification, Policy Authoring, Definition and Enforcement, and provides capabilities and thought leadership as an enabling component of Zero Trust architecture, in Data Authorization.
- Administration/operations, configuration, and design of the tokenization/encryption infrastructure, including the expansion of tokenization-as-a-service, data protection-as-a-service, and associated gateway expansions.
- Designing and implementation of new capabilities in support of Data de-identification, Unstructured File Analysis, Crown Jewel data protection and Global Workforce data protection, in alignment with enterprise security architecture Zero Trust principles.
- Continuouingimprovement and process design to support the operations of enterprise critical tokenization and encryption services.
- Designing and implementation of technical security standards covering data protection standards (such as data disposition and encryption) for systems involved in processing sensitive data.
- Managingand maintaining data protection technologies to better identify and protect sensitive data, including understanding of delegated / distributed data protection capabilities managed outside of the team.
- Having significant ownership in and present on security Data Encryption and Protection (DEP) information.
- Interacting with users and stakeholders to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications, in alignment with data protection standards and policies.
- Supporting and consulting with vendor, infrastructure and development teams to assist the business units with implementing sound data protection practices along with interfacing with customers in support of their data protection requirements.
- Responsible for provisioning, patching, and managing of heterogeneous servers.
- Leveragingadvanced knowledge of security operations, cyber security tools, intrusion detection, and secured networks to diagnose and resolve configuration, programming and reporting issues.
- Determiningand reporting the accomplishments of project initiatives across the stakeholder groups providing consulting and guidance on how to drive business results from the data available.
Where you'll be working…
This is a work-from-home role performed almost exclusively from your home office with occasional in-person meetings and training.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Information security, Data Governance, Data Protection technologies, Policy.
- Experience in standard development, IT, application development and/or support.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master's Degree in information security, cyber security, computer science or a related field.
- Strong communication and presentation skills along with the ability to handle multiple priorities and challenging situations.
- Ten or more years of combined experience in IT, application development and support, and Cybersecurity.
- Relationship skills and collaborative style to enable success across multiple partners.
- Ability to clearly and succinctly explain highly complex issues to senior executives.
- Experience preparing and delivering presentations to peers or senior executives.
- Ability to negotiate when warranted, in order to work with other teams.
- Ability to grasp and assess “big picture” issues and bring them to light in order to foster positive change for a more robust data ingestion platform and process.
- Cloud Experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.